Rogue River bears - Mountain Buzz

Old 07-13-2019   #1

Grants Pass, Oregon
Rogue River bears

There are lots of bears in the wild and scenic Rogue this season. Be bear aware, particularly if camping or leaving your boat unsupervised, particularly below the Rogue River Ranch. How are you dealing with the bear situation this year? Please share your 2019 experiences so that others can learn from each other. What’s the solution? As the saying goes, “Fed bears are dead bears”. Those habituated bears aren’t going to make it through the season. : (

Freeflow1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-13-2019   #2

Lake Oswego, Oregon
Paddling Since: 1983
A couple of weeks ago we saw a male across from Brushy Bar. Some guy camped at Solitude said a bear was on his boat trying to get into his cooler. This guy said he hit the bear in the nose and it finally ran off. Quite a story. I did believe the guy. It was probably the same bear we saw.
OregonianRG is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2019   #3

thornton, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1969
Bear spray...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freeflow1 View Post
There are lots of bears in the wild and scenic Rogue this season. Be bear aware, particularly if camping or leaving your boat unsupervised, particularly below the Rogue River Ranch. How are you dealing with the bear situation this year? Please share your 2019 experiences so that others can learn from each other. What’s the solution? As the saying goes, “Fed bears are dead bears”. Those habituated bears aren’t going to make it through the season. : (
Bear spray, from what I have researched does a good job. I purchased four canisters of it last year, one each for my two daughters and one for myself. The other one we took to a field and practiced removing the safety a few times each. Than took turns spraying it, according to the instructions, which turned out to be about two good blast for each of us, than the canister was empty. With the bear encounters increasing in Colorado for some reason I don't understand, and they do alot of backpacking, camping and hiking, I thought it was a good idea for them to have, instead of going for their hand guns(they have taken defensive shooting classes). Could be used for aggressive moose
with caves, coyotes etc. They probably will never need it and skills they will never have to use, which is a good thing. Might be good for personal protection also, instead of firearms.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20190713_121046.jpg
Views:	56
Size:	1.16 MB
ID:	37351  
raymo is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-14-2019   #4

Creswell, Oregon
Paddling Since: 2000
A good start to bear preparation would be to not leave your cooler in your raft.
Ezcruzr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2019   #5

lafayette or Grand Lake, CO., Colorado
Paddling Since: 1961
This is what I did to my dry boxes. Also carry bear spray. A bear proof (?) cooler (canyon cooler) with nuts, washers and bolts to keep it closed. I close my groover when not in use and use rocket boxes for trash. Also have a bear fence. Just got off a June Smith trip in Montana and we set up the bear fence every night, put all the food inside, but never caught a bear
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	bear proof dry box1.jpg
Views:	72
Size:	368.2 KB
ID:	37399   Click image for larger version

Name:	bear proof dry box3.jpg
Views:	74
Size:	409.8 KB
ID:	37401  

Name:	bear proof dry box4.jpg
Views:	70
Size:	300.5 KB
ID:	37403  
Old 07-14-2019   #6

Walterville, Oregon
Paddling Since: 1977
Quote:
Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
......A bear proof (?) cooler (canyon cooler) with nuts, washers and bolts to keep it closed.......

It's not the cooler. It's the damage the bear can do while climbing around on the boat.
Old 07-14-2019   #7

lafayette or Grand Lake, CO., Colorado
Paddling Since: 1961
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wadeinthewater View Post
It's not the cooler. It's the damage the bear can do while climbing around on the boat.
I always thought keeping the bear out of your cooler was just as important as keeping him/her out of your boat. I must of not been very clear when I said we put all our food (coolers) inside the bear fence.
Old 07-14-2019   #8

Pullman, Washington
Paddling Since: 92
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wadeinthewater View Post

This is why the Smith requires all coolers/food boxes etc removed from boats at night and locked during the day. I presume it is so the bears don't associate the coolers with easy access to food. Apparently they removed 14 problem bears from the Smith in the last few seasons and are now hazing them and requiring groups to use more precautions. We pulled everything off into the bear fence at night, shocked one group member a couple of times but no bears to our knowledge ......
wshutt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2019   #9

Fraser, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2001
Quote:
Originally Posted by wshutt View Post
We pulled everything off into the bear fence at night, shocked one group member a couple of times
What did the group member do to earn that punishment?
Old 07-14-2019   #10

thornton, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1969
Just a thought.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by matt man View Post
What did the group member do to earn that punishment?
Maybe he had a bear ass.
raymo is offline   Reply With Quote