Rogue Launch Sept 10 - Mountain Buzz

Old 07-02-2019   #1

Terra Alta, West Virginia
Paddling Since: 1998
Rogue Launch Sept 10

hey all,
we have a 9-10 Launch date and we are planning to take off Saturday the 14th. im looking to add some miles to the standard Graves to Foster. ideally camping at the put in the night before. ive looked around the forum and see lots but im still not sure what the river above graves is like. any help appreciated!!

Daggerdave is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-02-2019   #2

Bend, Oregon
Paddling Since: 1992
Pick up this book for descriptions of the above and below stretches of the Rogue:

https://www.amazon.com/NRS-Rogue-Riv.../dp/1605854484

We often put in above Grave Creek, usually from Almeda or Argo. From Hog Creek down to Grave is a popular day trip stretch with lots of splashy class II, but it does parallel the road in. There are a couple of great campsites opposite the road that always look intriguing, and a range of drive in campsites from gravel bars to developed spaces on the road side in that stretch.

I've never floated past Foster, but the river flattens out and you leave the main canyon part a bit above Foster. Jet boat traffic picks up significantly as well. I've thought about floating on further, but then I come to my senses and just spend more time in the canyon instead.
Old 07-02-2019   #3

Grants Pass, Oregon
Paddling Since: 2013
90Duck gave good recommendations. I would say camp out at Indian Mary campground on the 9th. On the 10th launch somewhat timely from Indian Mary so you have time to stop by boat at Rand and pick up your permit and find a camp shortly after entering the wild and scenic section. If you move down river the next 3 days to Foster they will be short days on the river or if you really like one of your camps do a layover. Indian Mary is only a few miles below Hog Creek. Above Hog Creek and below Foster Bar I would want a motor on my boat. Especially in September! Hog to Graves is a few class 2's with a lot of still water but definitely worth it since your from out of town.
Buschman is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-02-2019   #4

Grants Pass, Oregon
Hog creek to Grave creek is worth doing. That’s what I’d suggest. You can camp along the river and there are some nice sites, as well as developed campgrounds like Almeda and Indian Mary as has been suggested. No place really to camp at the launch, except there’s some sand at the mouth of Grave Creek before and under the bridge that is ok at low flows that you’ll have by that time in Sept (1100 to 1200 cfs is likely) 3 night trip to cover the wild section is nice, plenty of time to see the sights, hike on the trail and absorb the place. There’s a big gravel bar just before Rand on river right called “Robert Dean” that has options for exploring, and a blm pit toilet. Makes it an easy place to set up to stop at Rand in the AM to get your permit and continue on down to Grave creek.
Freeflow1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2019   #5

Terra Alta, West Virginia
thanks all those sound like doable plans.

what do you all recommend for fishing gear and species?
Daggerdave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2019   #6

Arnold, California
I like to stay the night @ Galice and launch from there. They also do the shuttle for me. Not camping, but they do good dinner and often have music on the weekends.
Old 07-05-2019   #7

Klamath Falls, Oregon
Rogue in September

You can add miles either above the wild and scenic or below the wild and scenic. Both sections a really nice in my opinion a get a bad rap. The thing that will dictate what you do at that time of year is the wildfire smoke. It may be a little better or worse in either area. It may be so bad that you don't want to boat at all. Post up here when the time is closer for your launch and folks here can help you figure it out. When the smoke here is really bad, it is some of the worst air quality in the world.

As far as fishing goes that is a complicated answer. Someone may give you a better answer. But in short it's salmon, trout and steelhead. If you cast a fly rod then I'd stop by one of the local fly shops for gear suggestions. My understanding is that its pretty hard to catch a salmon on a fly rod but YMMV. Early sept may be a little early in the salmon run. If you are using a spinning reel there's no bait between Whiskey Creek and Foster Bar for that time of year.
kfalls is offline   Reply With Quote