Rogue flows - Mountain Buzz

Old 08-24-2017   #1

portland, Oregon
Rogue flows

My wife and some pals and I are discussing a potential late season Rogue trip. We'll probably paddle my 14 foot raft and might have an extra cat along for gear and as a splash target. There are a lot of late season cancellation float spaces available on the Rogue and I am wondering if this is because it will be a boney suck fest? I haven't done the rogue during any time of the year and I am wondering if I should just brave the lottery system for a permit earlier in the summer or whether we should just go for it. Thanks!

rhombocombus is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-24-2017   #2
Sponsoring Vendor

Central Point, Oregon
It is a bit more difficult but still Good to go. You'll want to pay attention to wild cat and Tyee along with Rainey and blossom.
Whitewater Worthy Equip is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2017   #3

Walterville, Oregon
Paddling Since: 1977
Quote:
Originally Posted by rhombocombus View Post
......There are a lot of late season cancellation float spaces available on the Rogue and I am wondering if this is because it will be a boney suck fest?...
Not a boney suck fest. Float spaces become more available as the probability of rain increases. Fall is a great time to be on the Rogue if you are prepare for wet.
Advertisement

Old 08-24-2017   #4

portland, Oregon
Wet I don't mind. Nasty Z-drags and pins on the other hand...
Old 08-24-2017   #5

Helena, Montana
Paddling Since: 2010
You should at least be able to see the can opener in Upper Black Bar before you're on top of it. We weren't so lucky the last week of July.
BigSky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2017   #6
Was here

Southern, Oregon
Paddling Since: 1983
I've floated it down to 1250cfs with zero issues. Can-opener is even way out of the water at that level. I just read 2400 on the Agness Gage. This is a perfect level.

Sent from my SM-G900P using Mountain Buzz mobile app
Old 08-25-2017   #7

Medford, Oregon
Paddling Since: 1984
Rogue watershed is in good shape this year lots of winter precip and lost creek reservoir filled. They usually bump the water up a bit late August mid September to assist Salmon and cool the water. Nothing unusual fall is a great time to go.
rivers2run is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2017   #8

portland, Oregon
Thanks for all of the info! We are trying to find a timeslot to do it, I might just have to burn some sick time so we can go midweek!
Old 08-28-2017   #9

Portland, Oregon
Paddling Since: 1992
We're looking at a Sept 21 put in. Ran it about a month ago, flow was very friendly at 2600. Plenty of water this year.
drgchapman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2017   #10

Bend, Oregon
Paddling Since: 1992
I've done it down to 1000 cfs, and there are still lines in all of the rapids (thanks to Glen Woldridge and his dynamite!). The drops get really abrupt and the slow water moves really slow, but there is plenty of time to make moves in the rapids. Blossom is always funky, and if you get through without bouncing off a rock at low flows your are either a liar or damn lucky, but other than the picket fence it is slow enough you can pivot off most anything.

That said, low flows should not be any real issue this year. We'll be down there to shut down the permit season in mid-October. It is by far my favorite time of year on that river.