Rogue Beta? Remove Coolers from Raft due to Bears? And Rainie Falls... - Mountain Buzz

Go Back   Mountain Buzz > Whitewater Boating > Whitewater Rafting

Old 05-26-2017   #1
Be Like Water

Rivertime, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1978
Rogue Beta? Remove Coolers from Raft due to Bears? And Rainie Falls...

Hi all,

I have what might be a silly and obvious question...it is really necessary to remove coolers from rafts at night due to bears? Better safe than sorry I'm sure but just wondering...

And I'm hoping to run the middle channel of Rainie falls...I have a 15' Maravia, any thoughts or advice? It looks pretty straight forward, t-up and ship oars, hit the drop and hang on.

Thanks in advance!

Liquido is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-26-2017   #2

Awesome, Colorado
I don't think it's necessary, but I wouldn't want a bar hopping all over my boat with it's sharp, pointy claws!

From my research (we'll be there this summer), many of the sites along the Rogue have electric bear fences to put your cooler/food. For the camps that don't have fences, we are planning on stacking our cooler and dry box a bit away from camp and then putting a bunch of pans/noisy things on top that will topple over and alert us at night if a bear is invading.
climbbd510 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2017   #3

Eagle, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2000
I like it. But just curious, when you hear the pots and pans topple over in the middle of the night, what do you do? Go confront the bear in the middle of the night when it is hard to see, Gently say go away bear from the safety of your tent, be quiet in your tent and know that the bear is eating all of your food. Not sure what I would do. Would the bear run away or would he vigilantly defend his newfound carcass (your food). Do you hit him with Bear Spray and spray all of your food at the same time? Again, I don't know.
ArgoCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-26-2017   #4
Be Like Water

Rivertime, Colorado
Thanks for the replies...The using pot and pans is a good idea, I think it's in the hope that the noise scares the bear away.

Ok remove the cooler, check!

Any beta on Rainey falls? I think it will be between 6-8 k.

Tight lines and good times everyone!!!
Old 05-26-2017   #5

Southern, Oregon
Once you get down river of Blossom Bar it is good idea to remove coolers. Especially if your staying in or around Tate/Tacoma.

A couple things I think about when running the middle chute. A little oar drag to make sure you are going straight before releasing the oars (I don't ship them forward) and stay in the boat, the eddy line at the bottom is nasty for swimming.
Duce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2017   #6
Be Like Water

Rivertime, Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by Duce View Post
Once you get down river of Blossom Bar it is good idea to remove coolers. Especially if your staying in or around Tate/Tacoma.

A couple things I think about when running the middle chute. A little oar drag to make sure you are going straight before releasing the oars (I don't ship them forward) and stay in the boat, the eddy line at the bottom is nasty for swimming.
Great advice, thanks! I'm guessing you think it's worth doing. I don't know when I'll be back and know I'll regret not running it.
Old 05-26-2017   #7

Bend, Oregon
Paddling Since: 1992
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArgoCat View Post
I like it. But just curious, when you hear the pots and pans topple over in the middle of the night, what do you do? Go confront the bear in the middle of the night when it is hard to see, Gently say go away bear from the safety of your tent, be quiet in your tent and know that the bear is eating all of your food. Not sure what I would do. Would the bear run away or would he vigilantly defend his newfound carcass (your food). Do you hit him with Bear Spray and spray all of your food at the same time? Again, I don't know.
Bring a really bright tactical style police light or spotlight. Chuck rocks. Yell and holler and wave paddles around. Best option, use bear spray. It is really better for everyone, bear included, if the bears down there have nothing but negative experience with humans and learn to stay away. Problem bears that get habituated to camp raiding generally end up getting eliminated by the ODFW.
Old 05-26-2017   #8

Southern, Oregon
FYI, at these higher flows the middle shoot line is not very clear. I use the middle chute for low water passes. At 6-8 the fish ladder is moving pretty good.
Duce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2017   #9

Groveland, California
Saw a Star raft with about a dozen punctures in it at Half Moon a couple years ago, since then I have always removed the coolers etc. from boat. BLM put out a new video somewhat recently suggesting the use of Ammonia on top of the cooler pile. Stopped on the way up to buy a bottle with a screw top lid to set on top each night. At inspection I was told it was not necessary???? YMMV, Left it in the shuttle vehicle.

Also "tested" the bear fences at both Mule Creek and Half Moon last trip, could barely feel a shock. I'm guessing that the batteries were dead and they rely on a new battery giving the bears a good nip to keep them out of the fences at all times.....that wouldn't have stopped a bunny rabbit.

Have fun up there!
HPMG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2017   #10

Reno, Nevada
Paddling Since: 1990
I'm told that this is an old Alaska trick, and we employed it last year on the Rogue:

* 6 Tube socks
* 6 Urinal cakes
* Pinesol
* Ammonia

Place a urinal cake in each sock, and liberally soak in Pinesol/
Ammonia.

Distribute socks around/on top of your cooler/food stash.

Keep the socks in an old drybag.

I'm not suggesting that this technique kept the bears away, but we didn't have any issues. We did run into two trips that had bears in camp.

CJ
CVAN is offline   Reply With Quote