Road to Paradise - Mountain Buzz

Old 04-14-2017   #1

North Creek, New York
Paddling Since: 1997
Road to Paradise

I've only done the Selway once, 6/17/2010. This year we have an invite on a 5/24 trip and wondering about the road in to the launch site. Wondering when it opens up compared to the road to Boundary, which seems to be open most years by Memorial Day weekend. I know there's a big snowpack right now and the water will be huge at some point, but hoping maybe we can sneak down before the big flush if the road is open. Is there still a guy doing over-the-snow shuttles?
Thanks-

natepelton is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-14-2017   #2

On The River, Idaho
Paddling Since: 2000
I think you will be right in the BIG flush. With the cool spring that Idaho has been seeing my guess is the road will be hard pressed to open by Memorial Day. But even if the road is open that won't be your biggest challenge in pulling this trip off. The river will probably be flowing very high at that time as well, possibly headed towards peak flow. My guess would be 7.5' + at paradise at that time of the year based on the amount of snow. Your probably looking at epic flows with possibly no in other than flying or over the snow shuttle, which I think people still do. The outfitter at Paradise has to get in there most of the year so his guys have the rigs that could bring you in. But I would be very cautious of putting on the river in anything other than a kayak at that time of year with this years high water potential. If the heat turns on in May look out, the rivers are going to be HUGE.
DoubleShadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2017   #3

Colorado Springs, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1974
Not discounting your info about big flows in May (it all depends on how hot it gets and how fast, but hope it stays cool to save some water for July 10) but while the southern Idaho mtns are pretty loaded, the Clearwater basin is only 105%.

SNOTEL Narrative

The OP might talk to the Nancy at the West Fork ranger office. She is a good source of info. 406-821-3269
duct tape is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-14-2017   #4

at my house, Montana
Paddling Since: 2020
They usually plow the road to paradise open by May 15.