River Treasure! - Mountain Buzz

Old 05-15-2017   #1

Pueblo, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2010
River Treasure!

I thought I might try to start a thread on great river finds and artifacts...

I found this peive down at rincon on the arkansas yesterday. Any ideas? Maybe a brick?

As an old freind once told me...." The river giveth, and the river takith away!"
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20170515_181949_1494895074512.jpg
Views:	377
Size:	949.5 KB
ID:	18674   Click image for larger version

Name:	20170515_181958_1494895102901.jpg
Views:	389
Size:	945.5 KB
ID:	18682  

Swervejb is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-15-2017   #2

Cd'A, Idaho
Climbing wall hand-hold?

That's all I got.
Elvez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2017   #3

Craig, Colorado
Prosthetic pig nose?
Fishn is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-15-2017   #4
Shapp

the grove, Oregon
Paddling Since: 1986
Coolest river find for me was joe camel:

Distal end of a camelid femur, 2 to 7 million years old, this is one of the larger specimens of the about 26 known camelid species to have inhabited north america, this one was one of the larger ones and stood at about 2 meters at the shoulder.

also recovered a Rugegr Mark II .223 and a 300 mag from a sunk drift boat, though I ended up finally tracking the owner down and returning.
shappattack is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2017   #5

Pueblo, Colorado
Yea that is a cool find Shappattack! On some Oklahoma float trips weve found ancient buffalo skulls and mammoth jaw bones. Cool stuff out there.
Old 05-19-2017   #6

Frisco, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2001
Please leave the cool treasure you find out there. Artifacts are disappearing. Eventually nobody will be able to enjoy the process of discovering an artifact at places that were once littered with them.

Oh, and it's a violation of the Federal Antiquities Act. Anything 50 years old or more on public land is protected by it.
MaverickUSC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2017   #7

Cave Creek, Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaverickUSC View Post
Please leave the cool treasure you find out there. Artifacts are disappearing. Eventually nobody will be able to enjoy the process of discovering an artifact at places that were once littered with them.

Oh, and it's a violation of the Federal Antiquities Act. Anything 50 years old or more on public land is protected by it.

Agreed for the most part. Take lots of pictures though, there is still a lot out there to be found.

50 years is over kill if you ask me. Pretty soon you won't be able to pick up plastic trash. There is already a bunch of broken glass and cans all over public lands that is over 50 years old.

Sent from my iPhone using Mountain Buzz
InflatableSteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2017   #8

Buena Vista, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2005
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaverickUSC View Post

Definitely agree. Even when it is old cans and tempered glass from homesteads and mining camps.

Take only photos and leave only footprints.
lmyers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2017   #9

Pueblo, Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by lmyers View Post
Definitely agree. Even when it is old cans and tempered glass from homesteads and mining camps.

Take only photos and leave only footprints.
What a joke! We need to leave the white mans trash on the river because of its historical significance is basically what you are saying. Your the same guy that leaves your beer cans on the side of the river so that future generations are aware of your presence.

When crews go through the royal gorge to do cleanup days do you know what it is that they are typically cleaning up? Its usually the wood and iron debris from the hundred year old wood water pipe that fed canyon city. My point is that alot of artifacts that are found in river settings are doomed for destruction. Rivers are a constant force of decay and destruction. I dont disagree that the removal of ancient artifacts is both illegal and probably unethical on public lands. I do not agree that this goes for trash as well.
Old 05-21-2017   #10

Buena Vista, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2005
Quote:
Originally Posted by Swervejb View Post
What a joke! We need to leave the white mans trash on the river because of its historical significance is basically what you are saying. Your the same guy that leaves your beer cans on the side of the river so that future generations are aware of your presence.

When crews go through the royal gorge to do cleanup days do you know what it is that they are typically cleaning up? Its usually the wood and iron debris from the hundred year old wood water pipe that fed canyon city. My point is that alot of artifacts that are found in river settings are doomed for destruction. Rivers are a constant force of decay and destruction. I dont disagree that the removal of ancient artifacts is both illegal and probably unethical on public lands. I do not agree that this goes for trash as well.

I don't know who you think your talking to. Leaving beer cans on the side of the river? I will pick up as much or more trash than anyone out there. Were you out yesterday for Colorado Public Lands Day picking up trash? I certainly was....

and thanks for the education on the railroad and pipeline debris in the Gorge.... I'm perfectly aware of what's down there, and I'm not advocating leaving garbage or hazards in place, but I would be willing to bet the Canon City Historical Society has a different view of the old wooden water pipe and the mounting rings than you do. Is the hanging flume along the Dolores garbage? How about old cans and such at McPherson Ranch along the Green River in Desolation?
lmyers is offline   Reply With Quote