River sombrero question - Mountain Buzz

Old 03-02-2013   #1

Lyons, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1998
Send a message via AIM to erdvm1
River sombrero question

Has anyone run the sombreros reversed on the frame? So instead of it folding down towards the stern it folds down towards the bow?
I am considering this and having a way to strap it down when folded. The reason is that it primarily shades the rower and not the passengers and I have more passengers than rowers
If you've done this are there any issues to consider
Any pictures??

erdvm1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-02-2013   #2

Westminster, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1999
It doesn't matter which way it folds down, as long as you have the clearance for it. What matters is where the pipes are in relation to your oars. I run 2 boats, and fold the bimini to the back on both. My round boat has the pipes forward of the oarlocks, the cat has the pipes behind. The round boat I can swing the oars forward (handles back) to ship the oars, the cat the oars have to swing back or just ship them inboard. I prefer to ship my blades forward, but let shade location drive the placement.

Just looked, all the good pictures of my tops have a friend's kid in 'em, and I don't post other people's children to the interwebz...
asleep.at.the.oars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2013   #3

Lyons, Colorado
Ok, I'm still learning here. "Ship the oars" means to essentially bring them on the boat but still in the oar locks?
This is great info and very helpful.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-02-2013   #4

Westminster, Colorado
Right. Either by swinging the oar forward or back, or by pulling it straight across the boat. Hopefully not to dodge rocks while the top is up... But also for errant kayaks / rafts.
Old 03-02-2013   #5

Westminster, Colorado
Found a couple pics, oars shipped inboard on the cat and forward on the raft. The upper part of Deso is obviously hard work...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN8374.jpg
Views:	1055
Size:	1.38 MB
ID:	5671   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN8380.jpg
Views:	1961
Size:	1.54 MB
ID:	5672  

Old 03-02-2013   #6

vancouver, Washington
Paddling Since: 1996
My experience you want to ship the oar tips toward the front of the boat. Its much easier to spread your arms out crucifixion style to get your blades close to the boat. If the blade does hit a rock, the force will shoot the handle towards the stern of the boat where it is unlikely to harm someone.

If you try and ship the blades back (handles forward) you have to jump out of your seat and lean forward. If you happen to hit a rock while attempting this, you may lose the oar and it can crack a passenger on the front of your boat

I run my bimini about a good foot in front of my oar tower. It actually mounts to the yoke i use as a footbar on my cat

When i stow the top, i need to ship my oars and then drop it behind my seat area. You need a flat spot close to the frame for it to sit, otherwise the poles can interfere with rowing

I used to have the boat arranged for the bimini to drop forward, but it was a hassle to move the pacos out of the way in order to drop it down on the tubes. The new setup is a lot quicker to move out of the way in technical waters when i need to stand and scout or potential issues with low branches

Also, in a low branch emergency situation, the passenger can release the clips and the bimini will fall over me instead of getting trashed
slamkal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013   #7

Golden, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1984
If you have walk rails, consider installing 2'-3' slider channels. That way you can position the shade fore or aft based on where the sun is, and you can drop the top of the frame off the front of the bow or stern while unloading. That's a big deal because you can unload gear from either end of the boat without risking stepping on or dragging heavy gear across the Bimini supports - once you have one side cleared, just flip the collapsed frame to the other end of the boat and slide it out of the way.

Oh, and there are more options to position the frame to keep it out of the way of the oars.

The Bimini is almost the best piece of gear I own.
El Flaco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013   #8
The Old Troll

Gypsum, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2000
Bimini Tops are a pain......

but well worth the trouble. Any inconvenience caused by the oar vs bimini frame is outweighed by the comfort offered. Don't think there is a better option. Grin and Bare I guess.
David Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013   #9

Lyons, Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by El Flaco View Post
If you have walk rails, consider installing 2'-3' slider channels. That way you can position the shade fore or aft based on where the sun is, and you can drop the top of the frame off the front of the bow or stern while unloading. That's a big deal because you can unload gear from either end of the boat without risking stepping on or dragging heavy gear across the Bimini supports - once you have one side cleared, just flip the collapsed frame to the other end of the boat and slide it out of the way.

Oh, and there are more options to position the frame to keep it out of the way of the oars.

The Bimini is almost the best piece of gear I own.
El flaco
Do you have pictures of this setup?
Old 03-04-2013   #10

durango, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2007
Great responses on this thread. I'll just reinforce that yes, you can fold a Sombrero down either direction, and many of our customers do reverse the Sombrero and mount it forward of the oar locks to provide more shade to passenges in the front. As El Flaco pointed out, an alternative if you have decking is to intall slide tracks on the decking so you can shade the front when up, but slide back to the rear when it's down.
jeffvdgo is offline   Reply With Quote