River mileage - Mountain Buzz

Old 04-05-2019   #1

River mileage

Planning on rafting the main salmon corn creek to spring bar in sept. I’m new to long rafting trips. I have planned for 4 nights/5 days. Figure 18-20miles of river/ day, does this sound reasonable? Any suggestions on beaches that would make sense for this 5 day trip, I have the guide book, I just hope that 5 days will be doable for this trip, any help appreciated, cheers

wharf-rat is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-06-2019   #2

Pullman, Washington
Paddling Since: 92
Quote:
Originally Posted by wharf-rat View Post
Planning on rafting the main salmon corn creek to spring bar in sept. Iím new to long rafting trips. I have planned for 4 nights/5 days. Figure 18-20miles of river/ day, does this sound reasonable? Any suggestions on beaches that would make sense for this 5 day trip, I have the guide book, I just hope that 5 days will be doable for this trip, any help appreciated, cheers
We often do 4 nights and we rarely make it off the Corn Creek boat ramp before the crack of 2pm At lower flows you might want to pull out at Carey instead of Spring bar, that last 10 miles (?) section can be slower and we've hit the worst afternoon wind through there. There are so many great beach camps to choose from, I always look for ones with side hikes because that's my thing I wouldn't say we've ever had a bad camp. Afternoon shade may be still what you seek and can be tricky to find lower down but that depends on the weather at the time.
wshutt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2019   #3

Salt Lake City, Utah
Paddling Since: 1997
5 days is pushing it for a take out at Spring Bar. The section below Mackay Bar is slow moving so you won't make much more than 15 miles a day in there. You might consider taking out at Carey Creek if you are set on 5 days.
Riverwild is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-06-2019   #4

Pullman, Washington
Paddling Since: 92
I will add that we tend to be rowers not floaters, ie we stay on the sticks most of the time, not pulling hard but just keeping it moving so we do tend to cover miles more than some groups.
wshutt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2019   #5

salmon, Idaho
Paddling Since: 2004
I agree that carey creek would be better for five days.. if you are set on going to spring i think it is doable but sounds less than ideal... i would try and make big miles higher as once you hit the confluence with the south fork it gets slow.. i have done 18 mile days down there when the wind started blowing at 10am... it was miserable. I was never so happy to see our reserved camp.. im glad no one quit on us because it was a very difficult day..

Sent from my SM-G920V using Mountain Buzz mobile app
codycleve is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2019   #6

Alright. Great beta, thanks. Gives me something to think about and plan for
wharf-rat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2019   #7

carmen, Idaho
Paddling Since: 1988
We did the Main in late September last year at low water. We took 7 days and took out at Spring Bar. It was a relaxing trip but I would not have wanted to do it in 5 or 6 days. The stretch from Carey Creek to Spring Bar is interesting and there are several very good camp sites. It is a much easier shuttle as well. We will be doing it again this year. September is a great time - cooler weather, fewer people and not much competition for camp sites.
nolichuck is offline   Reply With Quote