River Lunch Ideas...no more flatmeat! - Mountain Buzz

Old 05-26-2018   #1

Lakewood, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1993
River Lunch Ideas...no more flatmeat!

I just got off a Grand Canyon trip and we literally ate the same "Lunch meat, cheese, and lettuce" sandwiches for every lunch the whole trip. I don't mind it occasionaly, but it got old pretty quick.

Curious if ya'll have any innovative ideas for lunch that doesn't involve having to get a stove out or excessive dish use.

Electric-Mayhem is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-27-2018   #2

Ceres, California
Paddling Since: 1999
Send a message via ICQ to ryanx7 Send a message via AIM to ryanx7 Send a message via MSN to ryanx7 Send a message via Yahoo to ryanx7 Send a message via Skype™ to ryanx7
Taco salad with Costco chicken is a fav. You can also do tostadas with a can of refried beans and some basic fixings. If you boil the noodles the night before you can make a pretty awesome pasta salad with a bit of chopping and a bottle of Italian dressing.

Sent from my SM-T820 using Mountain Buzz mobile app
ryanx7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2018   #3
BENT BEARD

Livingston, Montana
Paddling Since: 1986
Send a message via AIM to BENT BEARD Send a message via MSN to BENT BEARD Send a message via Yahoo to BENT BEARD
We grill portabellas with Red and yellow peppers the night before. A little cream cheese with the fixings in a wrap or tortilla. Wrap in foil and throw in your day cooler for the next days lunch.
BENT BEARD is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-27-2018   #4

Eugene, Oregon
Paddling Since: 1996
Lettuce wraps. Cheese, Toby's, tomatoes, tuna in foil packet and some mustard. Also I really like Costcos premade pulled pork. Some buns, slaw in a bag and chips and you're living.
Voodoo003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2018   #5

SLC, Utah
Paddling Since: 1983
I've had good success with sticking with sandwiches, but adding in chicken and tuna salad (handy because you can get the meat in foil packs that don't need to stay cold), mixing it at breakfast. It only adds a bowl and a few utensils to the lunch set up and clean up. It also adds variety to flat meat (love that term) sandwiches to accessorize a lot, having some combination of humus, olives, pickles, roasted peppers, PB&J, Cholula, Sriratcha, chips, etc at each lunch (less complicated than it sounds).
paulster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2018   #6

Grand Junction, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1994
Chicken or tuna salads. They can be wrapped up or not. I'm a chef so they're not your average Safeway salads. Peanut butter and jelly are staples. I usually have some "gourmet" condiments that will at least make your flatmeat more interesting. Guacamole or hummus are nice additions too.
smhoeher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2018   #7

Grand Junction, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1994
Notice that paulster and I have similar menus. Time for a river trip cook-off!
smhoeher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2018   #8
td

Smoke some pulled pork at home (or buy some from a good barbecue place), bring some kings hawaiian rolls and coleslaw, a little good barbecue sauce and you've good a crowd favorite without much work and dishes on the river. Or you can have pulled pork sandwiches for dinner and leftover sandwiches the next day.
td is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2018   #9

NE, Oregon
I call it the C&C. Cheese and crackers, hummus, vegetables, veg dip, pepperoni and/or salami, fruit and cookies for dessert.
Willie 1.5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2018   #10
td

BLT wraps with pre-cooked bacon are pretty good and easy too.
td is offline   Reply With Quote