river etiquette, what piss's you off? - Mountain Buzz

Old 02-07-2015   #1

Bismarck, North Dakota
Paddling Since: 2012
river etiquette, what piss's you off?

so i asked this question elsewhere and after 181 views and not a single response should i take it to mean that a 43 y/o man can wear a thong , have a stripper pole on his raft and a donkey show too and no one cares?

So what should a newb know so as to assimilate?

sammyphsyco is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-07-2015   #2

Carbondale, Colorado
Paddling Since: 05
give fisherman plenty of space... I will usually go out of my way, to stay out of their way...

really the thing that annoys me is lines of people trying to take out... waiting for their turn to back their trailer down... and blocking the entire ramp.... then giving me dirty looks when I sneak my mini max out past them...

I get it you are patiently waiting for your turn to back your trailer down... but that doesn't mean I have to....

but yeah... the river is all about freedom to me... do whatever you want as long as its not negatively effecting other river users.. and most river folks have a good sense of humor... so if you got the balls for a thong go for it ( pun intended)
GratefulOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2015   #3

Bayfield, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1980
Ramp hogs. Get in, get out, keep you poop in a pile and take up as little space as possible. Offer to help other folks as needed but always ask first.
jamesthomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-07-2015   #4

Telluride, CO, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2004
Don't take up more space than is reasonable (at put in, take out, parking lot, small eddies at popular sites, camping etc).

Wear your thong at camp, not on the river. I don't need to see others' junk, I got my own

Respect the locals wherever you are, even the bat shit crazy ones.

Don't litter. ( includes human waste). Be a true steward of the river.

Don't assume that everyone knows how to properly use a Groover or clean a fire pan.

Always give kayakers a beer

Sent from my iPhone using Mountain Buzz
Old 02-07-2015   #5

Hampden, Massachusetts
Paddling Since: 1999
First and foremost, respect the old timers and locals.

Don't be a hole hog at a surf spot.

Pick up ur trash. Move outta the way, don't block the access/takeout for " hours".
FlyingDutchman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2015   #6

Sandy, Utah
Paddling Since: 1997
It's important for a newbie to be helpful, but please ask first. It's great when everyone pitches in to get things done, but if you touch my boat or my gear without asking first I will not be happy. If it's your first trip, ask the trip leader ahead of time about what you can bring/do/contribute. If you're a new boater, make sure you have your own safety, repair, and personal gear. Buy yourself a decent camp chair. Don't be the person who shows up for the trip with a cheap piece of junk, duct taped together chair that breaks at the first camp, then sits their butt in my chair every time I get up. Most of all, bring a good attitude. River life is all about "going with the flow" and enjoying your time with your friends in beautiful places. My motto is Psalm 118:24 - "This is the day that the Lord has made. Let us rejoice and be glad in it." Life is too short not to rejoice in it every day.
Old 02-07-2015   #7

CCC, CO
  • Loud late night partying guides at the put-in campground. (Its not always guides, but more often than not)
  • Passing me in whitewater
  • Sending a speeder out early or to pass us and grab the best camp
  • Nudes - especially when a group with kids is passing you or you are passing them.
  • Sober jerks
  • Drunken jerks
  • Rangers that act like entitled cops.
  • Takeout ramp A-holes, whether being discourteous by taking up too much space, or overreacting to any perceived slight (it seems like people can usually work their crap out at the put-in, but the fuses are much shorter at the take out ramp)
  • "Passengers" on a private trip who act like they're on a guided trip and don't do crap to help. Those that do more than their share get the re-invite.
benR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2015   #8
addict

Golden, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2003
Rafter scum

Anyone who doesn't look upstream before peeling out of an eddy

tango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2015   #9

Glenwood Springs, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1987
The obnoxiously loud vrrrrruummm of late night jackasses blowing up their boats, yelling their for more pbr"s and meth....

Ok, that's what was going thru my exhausted and hate filed attempt to sleep at more than one westy trip.

Fuck you whoever you are. You did this way more than once.

wildh2onriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2015   #10

Glenwood Springs, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1987
river etiquette, what piss's you off?

[QUOTE=wildh2onriver;386568]The obnoxiously loud vrrrrruummm of late night jackasses blowing up their boats, yelling their demands for more pbr"s and meth....

Ok, that's what was going thru my exhausted and hate filled mind as I was attempting to sleep at more than one westy trip.

Fuck you whoever you are. You did this way more than once
wildh2onriver is offline   Reply With Quote