River Etiquette: takeout cluster__k on San Juan - Mountain Buzz

Go Back   Mountain Buzz > Whitewater Boating > Whitewater Rafting

Old 4 Weeks Ago   #1

Chapel Hill, North Carolina
Paddling Since: 2011
River Etiquette: takeout cluster__k on San Juan

We recently took out at Clay Hills Crossing (end of run of complete San Juan) and one of our boats missed the takeout. Not too bad as he was able to pull over about 50yds downstream and we floated a rope to him and pulled him back (banks way too overgrown to walk down to him). But still scary and then annoying.

Some people said that the two trips, that were in the process of taking out on the ramp there, had not done what they should have, and pulled in starting at the most downstream location, and filling in from there towards the upstream end of the ramp. That way, our boats would not have had to pull around other boats in order to get to all the available spots. That's what happened to the guy who missed the takeout. Maybe not a big deal at lower flows, but there was a decent current even one boat's length out from the shore.

I post this to ask if this is indeed peoples' understanding of takeout ramp etiquette, and if so, to urge people to follow it, especially where there's not a big eddy.

jge1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 4 Weeks Ago   #2

Ridgway, Colorado
We took out at Clay Hills yesterday. When we got to the ramp, another group had the downstream spots, we pulled in above them. Within a few minutes, they were done and gone. Are we now the assholes for occupying the upstream spots while the downstream spots are vacant?
rtsideup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 Weeks Ago   #3

Ridgway, Colorado
Speaking of ramp etiquette.
When we were putting on at Sand Island, the group in front of us from Az had their car and Uhaul trailer parked ACROSS the ramp, for an hour, while they fully rigged their rent-a-rafts from scratch.
rtsideup is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 4 Weeks Ago   #4

Salida, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1993
First time i have ever heard of this, at least in the circles I boat with this is not a thing.

On multi day trips I find it more useful to discuss with other trips on the river when they plan on hitting the takeout to avoid everyone using it at the same time.

Take out etiquette to me, is don't take up more room than necessary and move as quickly as you can to allow other trips to come in.
stinginrivers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 Weeks Ago   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by rtsideup View Post
We took out at Clay Hills yesterday. When we got to the ramp, another group had the downstream spots, we pulled in above them. Within a few minutes, they were done and gone. Are we now the assholes for occupying the upstream spots while the downstream spots are vacant?
Doesn't seem reasonable for you to be expected to move your boats once you've pulled in. Possibly that's what happened at our takeout - never thought about that perspective - but I kinda don't think so.
Old 4 Weeks Ago   #6
Never enough free time

Red Lodge, Montana
Paddling Since: 1998
Quote:
Originally Posted by stinginrivers View Post

Take out etiquette to me, is don't take up more room than necessary and move as quickly as you can to allow other trips to come in.
This...plus it's always appreciated when you can lend a hand to boats pulling up after you. That little gesture seems to go a long way.
MontanaLaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 Weeks Ago   #7

Swasey beach

We can up to Swasey's beach one June day where the ramp was full, with our group waiting in the tamis for our turn. As we were waiting, another group came by and got in the line of boats. As we were waiting I heard the last boatman yell to his Mom who was parking by, "what are you doing Mom, I told you to block the ramp with your car" Did I mention they were from Lakewood Colorado, you know who you are.
zercon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 Weeks Ago   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by MontanaLaz View Post
This...plus it's always appreciated when you can lend a hand to boats pulling up after you. That little gesture seems to go a long way.
Don't recall the people there doing that, maybe with other boats ? After our guy got swept downriver, one of them did ask if he could help. By then, one of our clearer-thinking (than me) boatmen had figured out to just float 2-3 throw bags tied together down to him, and we easily hoisted him back to the ramp.
Old 4 Weeks Ago   #9
td

Funny thing, the drop off at Clay Hills is pretty steep and the water is deep right off the bank, or at least it used to be. We had just pulled in there once when a raft comes floating in with a lady rowing and her middle aged husband or boyfriend yelling commands at her the whole time. It was clear they were going to miss the takeout and we asked if they wanted a rope and told them it was a steep bank. The guys reply was "No, I'm teaching her to row, she's got to learn sometime". He then proceeded to step off the front of their raft about five feet from shore like he would wade up to the bank pulling the raft. Well, it was over his head deep there and he disappeared for a minute losing his hat in the process. He was still holding the bow line when he came up and at that point we tried to hand him a rope as they were definitely on their way to missing the takeout. Instead of grabbing the rope he grabbed his hat, still yelling at the poor gal at the oars. About a half hour later he came staggering up through the tamarisk jungle below the takeout, pulling the bow line to their raft. He didn't have much to say at that point. I still feel bad for the poor lady that had to put up with him.

Another time on the Salt we pulled into the takeout which was completely blocked by the group in front of us that had set up their kitchen tables between a couple vehicles about 5 feet from the water's edge and dead in the center of the ramp. Their vehicles were blocking the edges of the ramp and they had a whole lunch spread out on the tables. They acted pretty offended when we asked if they could eat their lunch somewhere other than the takeout ramp. That was just plain rude and I really didn't feel bad about carrying our dripping boats over their pickled asparagus and fancy cheeses.
td is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 Weeks Ago   #10
in dry dock

Glenwoody, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2000
My impression of proper boat ramp etiquette is that the ramp is for entering and exiting the water, if you need to rig or de-rig your craft do that somewhere out of the way.

If there are multiple parties trying to use the ramp at the same time, limit your party to one lane on the ramp and get in and out as quickly as possible.

Sadly there is no common in courtesy anymore
noahfecks is offline   Reply With Quote