River Etiquette: Lead Boats to snag Camps - Mountain Buzz

Old 4 Weeks Ago   #1

CRG, Oregon
Paddling Since: 1978
River Etiquette: Lead Boats to snag Camps

River etiquette question. Got off the lower Owyhee recently. Seems like the river gets more crowded every year and I was annoyed and irritated to see the number of lead boats, commercial and private, headed out in the morning to snag a campsite while the rest of the group lollygagged in camp for a leisurely departure. Commercial lead boats are commonplace on rivers like the Rogue, while splitting the group to snag a camp is specifically prohibited on many rivers. On the Owyhee it is not specifically prohibited on the permit so does that make it ok or is it a low rent, sleaze ball, ramp hogging, fire ring building, un-groovered turd in the middle of a campsite sort of move that should be frowned upon?

runnerdoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 4 Weeks Ago   #2

Lander, Wyoming
i believe it is in poor taste. Also could create a potential safety hazard. What if, let's say, that the group that is left behind has a medical emergency, (heart attack, trips and falls,) now the group is split up, which creates a more chaotic situation.
cowboy907 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 Weeks Ago   #3

Treasure Valley, Idaho
Paddling Since: 1991
Lead Boat

I do not like it at all! It is very annoying and puts stress on people who are not sure what lies ahead during the day!
NativeDiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 4 Weeks Ago   #4
Never enough free time

Red Lodge, Montana
Paddling Since: 1998
So long as it isn't prohibited people are going to do it so you may as well be zen about it. I personally don't like splitting up the group for a whole host of reasons, but that's just me.
MontanaLaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 Weeks Ago   #5

Kalispell, Montana
Paddling Since: 1997
Quote:
Originally Posted by MontanaLaz View Post
So long as it isn't prohibited people are going to do it so you may as well be zen about it. I personally don't like splitting up the group for a whole host of reasons, but that's just me.
that's probably the best advice.
It could piss me off, but why spend river time being pissed off about something we realistically have no control over.
MT4Runner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 Weeks Ago   #6

Eastside, Washington
Paddling Since: 1995
Happens all the time of course................But even on rivers where it is illegal, can it be enforced? How can penalties be applied????
Koffler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 Weeks Ago   #7

Treasure Valley, Idaho
Paddling Since: 1991
All boats should be tied together in each party to make sure no boat gets too far away and deemed a lead boat!
NativeDiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 Weeks Ago   #8

Golden, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1974
It should be strongly frowned upon. It screws up the river social and planning dynamics. In terms of social dynamics the overt thought is an unmistakable and deliberate attempt to screw your fellow river runners. In terms of planning dynamics it becomes pointless to spend the day monitoring other groups on the river thinking that hence some camp might be possible only to get there to find some single (jerk) person sitting in the shade waiting for his group to arrive late that afternoon. These(and safety) are the reasons on some rivers that groups are required to stay together.

Frankly, I don't know what to do if every group is doing it. That would be a river with a lot disharmony at best and at worst, a lot of fist fights, I guess.
GeoRon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 Weeks Ago   #9

Westminster, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1980
Different situation, but same solution for identifying camp jumpers...was on Deso years ago, had a large group camped down river from us...they wandered into our camp past midnight and let off M80s. I raced after them with my big spotlight and told them I knew who they were (every trip leader checks in with the river ranger) and I would be reporting them to the BLM office. Dead silence. Every time we passed them on the
river, heads were down, looking the other way. So...if you wanted to pursue with the appropriate river agency...
Old 4 Weeks Ago   #10

Pendleton, Oregon
Paddling Since: 2005
Give the government enough time and we'll all be camping on our rafts like an armada of river house boats.

"Save the Campsites 2050!"
crossfox21 is offline   Reply With Quote