River Etiquette: Lead Boats to snag Camps - Page 5 - Mountain Buzz

Old 3 Weeks Ago   #41

Golden, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1974
Howdy Infidien,

Peg is buying a self-support rig this week so hope to hook up to do some self-support with you guys. So far the S Fusion is fitting her better than the S Katana. Any advise for a more petite paddler such as our SO's?

As we know, commercials are "strange". Frequently they functions commercially by sending out a support rig so that their "quests" arrive at a set up fully-functional camp with tents, chairs, kitchens in place. I've seen it happen not just in Oregon but on the Grand(violation!) and MFS(fortunately assigned camps) and elsewhere.

All I can hope is that their "guests" on a commercial trip are voters that value their experience and help preserve what we consider sacred. Every vote counts, unless the electoral college system totally screws it up.

GeoRon is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 3 Weeks Ago   #42

Golden, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1983
Patti likes her Remix 9 and she's about as petite as they come. Anyways, back on point, I don't mind seeing tents in a perfect line and chairs in a perfect circle for reserved camps like the MF, but I would be very surprised to to see it where it's clearly against the rules and a concession might be at stake. My point being that OR seems to be the only place where the 8 a.m. boat race is 'institutionalized', at least on the rivers I've run.
Infidien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 Weeks Ago   #43

Golden, Colorado
I'm with you Infidien,

This is my idea. Communications are critical and when that young buck rows by in the AM in a solo boat sky high with gear, ask their intentions(camp). Then say, lets flip a coin. Doesn't matter who wins, that is our camp. No way that they can't beat you or AW or perhaps I to that camp. Justice.

Institutionalized camp scarfing is abhorrent. How we convey this principle to the men dressed is green is our objective.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 3 Weeks Ago   #44

Fraser, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2001
Very poor taste, to send a boat out ahead to grab a campsite.
Also violates a basic boating principal, that I believe is important, keep your trip together.
Whether it is flat water or class 5, or the permit requires it or not, never been a fan of a trip spread out over the whole river.
Old 3 Weeks Ago   #45

Portland, Oregon
On my last Rogue trip we witnessed commercials not only sending 2 separate camp runners to snag both a camping camp and a primo camp just for lunch, but also leave a CAMP STRAGGLER at their previous camp all morning until their next trip's camp runner made it down for the guaranteed grab. F'ing abhorrent way to treat other people on the river.
jbomb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 Weeks Ago   #46

Golden, Colorado
Some good meat in this thread. Sad to think as always that it is "dust in the wind" and nothing is likely to be done.

I had no idea that it might be as bad as this anywhere. That is, commercials being such jerks. I've been on the Illinois five times since last on the Rogue so I've not kept track. And to think, I like Oregon. I've got a sister and her family there. How can it be so??? What can be done?
Old 3 Weeks Ago   #47

Golden, Colorado
Jbomb,

Tell me about this concept of a CAMP STRAGGLER? First, how would you know? And, why would they, except to cleanup for a short time? Just asking.
Old 3 Weeks Ago   #48
in dry dock

Glenwoody, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2000
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoRon View Post
Jbomb,

Tell me about this concept of a CAMP STRAGGLER? First, how would you know? And, why would they, except to cleanup for a short time? Just asking.

Commercial launching on consecutive days. Straggler from trip one waits for breakaway boat from trip two essentially making a hand-off of the camp.

If an outfitter had trips launching daily they could maintain possession of the camp indefinitely
noahfecks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 Weeks Ago   #49

Portland, Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoRon View Post
Jbomb,

We were laying over downstream in sight of their camp and watched them do it.

More info: They do their morning thing, break down tents, gear boat with ~16 paco pads and dry bags races off. Custies leave on paddle rafts a while later. Big circle of chairs and one gear boat remains for 3 hours. Matching gear boat from upstream pulls in, chairs disappear onto the other boat, it races off. New guy sets up circle of chairs.
jbomb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 Weeks Ago   #50

Golden, Colorado
"The horror! The horror!" Total horror. A violation of all principles! (To put it simply, very republican.)

My recommendation is(for what it is worth) shut it down. If you see homesteading by a commercial taking place, pull on in and set up. Someone must have the balls to contest.

Are they leaving tents set night to night??? What a bunch of MF's.