Mountain Buzz banner

River Cocktails

21K views 53 replies 36 participants last post by  JakeH 
#1 ·
#2 ·
Those "recipe" websites make me want to punch myself in the nose.
I don't want a story, I just want a recipe.

Big batch of margs is easy: can of frozen limeade, tequila. Don't need triple sec if you don't have it--use OJ. If it's too sweet (somehow large batches are), add a can or two of bud light or coors light (seriously).

But I really like G&T's for afternoon cocktails. You can freeze the plastic jugs of tonic for additional ice in your cooler, then you need less ice in your cocktail when it thaws. Try a dash of bitters for a different flavor, some tonics are too syrupy sweet.

We did a 1.5-gallon "whatchagot" rum punch on the Main last month. Started with leftover orange juice from breakfast, a 1/5 of gold rum, couple cans of mango Truly, couple cans of 7up, couple good glugs of gin to keep it from being too sweet, handful of sliced strawberries and 3 or 4 limes cut up.

#3 ·
also a big fan of gin and tonics.. Another good one is beergaritas. tecate, tequilla, and frozen limeaid.

For a vessel I fill a Rtic insulated 64 oz growler with ice to the brim right before you leave and will have ice for beverages 2 to 3 days later.. Or if you dont have room for that we had one of these on a trip.. https://www.amazon.com/Daiso-Collapsible-Water-Container-Tall/dp/B01FYTTJV2

It worked great.. along with out meals on that trip each cook group had a cocktail that they served... It was a lot of fun.

#4 ·
On hot days I like a Lager Shandy that's a staple among the Commonwealth crowd.

Brace yourself because the recipe is sacreligious to lots of folks:

One part lager, one part lemon-lime soda (7-up or equivalent).

Don't knock it til you try it. This is much more refreshing than drinking a beer by itself, and isn't sugary sweet like the soda would be by itself.

Enjoy!

-AH

Reactions: ZGMikey
#8 ·
haha...leave it to rafters to put a bunch of beer in their cocktails. I'm surprised there isn't bacon in them too.

I'll kindly ask you to keep the beer out of my Cocktails please.

For margaritas, Keep it simple, a nice blanco Tequila and some sweet and sour and a lime wedge is all you need. I've actually been just taking this pre-mix Margharita... https://coyotegold.com/

It looks and sounds like a horrible frat boy party drink, but it actually uses high quality tequila and tastes great. Its ready to go and you just pour it over ice and maybe add a lime wedge.

I've always wanted to do a large batch Old Fashion or Boulevardier (like a Negroni but with bourbon... one part Compari, One part Sweet Vermouth and 2 parts of your favorite Bourbon or Rye with a twist of lemon or orange rind). Its a little sweet but bitter at the same time.

I like a good Mule too. Very refreshing and you can mix things up by using different ingredients. I'm a big fan of the Irish or Kentucky mule using Whiskey instead of Vodka. You could do this large batch as well.

#13 ·
I like a good Mule too. Very refreshing and you can mix things up by using different ingredients. I'm a big fan of the Irish or Kentucky mule using Whiskey instead of Vodka. You could do this large batch as well.
Try gin + ginger beer, especially if you have a good spicy/gingery ginger beer. Bridger Brewing in Bozeman has one that is excellent, we buy it by the growler.

I also recently got hooked on 1 part light or gold rum, 1 part dark rum (Gosling's is way better than Myer's) and 2-3 parts ginger beer. Like a dark 'n stormy but the light rum sweetens it up a bit.

#10 ·
The Original Margarita

1 squeezed lime
2 Ounces of your favorite 100% Agave Tequila (Blanco, Repasado, and or Anejo. Take your pick I bring all three for any given river trip for variety).
1 ounce of Cointreau

Combine all three. Shake with ice. Pour into your favorite river mug.

Kick your feet up and savor.....

I typically squeeze 150-200 limes and freeze all in 1 quart nalgenes. Typically three. I then make what I call batches of margaritas for cocktail hour and beyond. My go to recipe is:

300 ml fresh squeezed lime juice
550 ml 100% Agave Tequila (see above)
150-200 ml Cointreau to the rim.

Enjoy!

#18 ·
The Recipe (thats what I call it)
Make ahead of time and bring it in an entertaining vessel. ( I used the prep jug from my colonoscopy last time, before that I used a signature gas can)
Prep
Juice a bag of lemons and slice up some of the rinds to make twists for garnish
Mix the amount of juice you get with equal parts of simple syrup and whiskey
It should make around a gallon. You can top it with water, if you tend to be a lightweight
Serve
as a shooter or mix in seltzer on the rocks with a twist

#19 ·
one part sprite, 4 parts simply lemonade light, 2 parts Jack Daniels. Glass of ice "enjoy".
A layover breakfast without a Bloody Mary bar shows a lack of respect for the river.

#21 ·
Regardless of your beverage choice, this is the single best purchase that a drinker can own. From coffee in the morning to keeping your beer ice cold from first sip to the last to cocktail tumbler. The best 800 pennies you've ever spent, or my name isn't Nathan Arizona.

#23 ·
Don’t know if anyone mentioned yet, cause I’m to dam lazy to read through the whole thread right now, but a Colorado Bull Dog, is pretty dam tasty.
Chocolate milk, coke, Irish cream, and vodka ( basically a White Russian with coke, hmm, a coked up Russian?...)

#29 ·
I was introduced to Dark and Stromy's on the Yampa this spring. They tasted amazing and are a new part of my cocktail playbook.
My go to is decent whiskey and ginger ale. simple, easy to bring and not everyone likes whiskey, so more for me :)
The wife loves Moscow Mules after a day in the passenger seat.
Coffee, bourbon, and baileys if the night before went a little too late.....

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.