River Cocktails - Mountain Buzz

Old 08-22-2019   #1

River Cocktails

Alright all you drunks...what's your goto river cocktail to mix up? I was thinking something like this would be easy to make on the river:
https://www.completelydelicious.com/tin-can-margaritas/

jeffro is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-22-2019   #2

Kalispell, Montana
Paddling Since: 1997
Those "recipe" websites make me want to punch myself in the nose.
I don't want a story, I just want a recipe.

Big batch of margs is easy: can of frozen limeade, tequila. Don't need triple sec if you don't have it--use OJ. If it's too sweet (somehow large batches are), add a can or two of bud light or coors light (seriously).

But I really like G&T's for afternoon cocktails. You can freeze the plastic jugs of tonic for additional ice in your cooler, then you need less ice in your cocktail when it thaws. Try a dash of bitters for a different flavor, some tonics are too syrupy sweet.

We did a 1.5-gallon "whatchagot" rum punch on the Main last month. Started with leftover orange juice from breakfast, a 1/5 of gold rum, couple cans of mango Truly, couple cans of 7up, couple good glugs of gin to keep it from being too sweet, handful of sliced strawberries and 3 or 4 limes cut up.
MT4Runner is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2019   #3

salmon, Idaho
Paddling Since: 2004
also a big fan of gin and tonics.. Another good one is beergaritas. tecate, tequilla, and frozen limeaid.

For a vessel I fill a Rtic insulated 64 oz growler with ice to the brim right before you leave and will have ice for beverages 2 to 3 days later.. Or if you dont have room for that we had one of these on a trip.. https://www.amazon.com/Daiso-Collaps.../dp/B01FYTTJV2

It worked great.. along with out meals on that trip each cook group had a cocktail that they served... It was a lot of fun.
codycleve is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-22-2019   #4

Wheat Ridge, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1995
On hot days I like a Lager Shandy that's a staple among the Commonwealth crowd.

Brace yourself because the recipe is sacreligious to lots of folks:

One part lager, one part lemon-lime soda (7-up or equivalent).

Don't knock it til you try it. This is much more refreshing than drinking a beer by itself, and isn't sugary sweet like the soda would be by itself.

Enjoy!

-AH
Nothing in the world is more yielding and gentle than water. Yet it has no equal for conquering the resistant and tough. The flexible can overcome the unbending; the soft can overcome the hard. - Lao Tse
Andy H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2019   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by MT4Runner View Post
Those "recipe" websites make me want to punch myself in the nose.
I don't want a story, I just want a recipe.

Agreed, I run this extension:
https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/fir...recipe-filter/
jeffro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2019   #6

Up shites creek, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1999
Hop-skip-go-naked. Refreshing and not too sweet, but will sneak up on you.

2 cans frozen lemonade concentrate (pink or raspberry)
1 (750 ml) bottle of vodka
5-6 light beers(suggest Tecate or PBR)
Old 08-22-2019   #7

salmon, Idaho
Paddling Since: 2004
Sorry this is the collapsible water container we had.. 2 gal capacity, the first one i linked was 0.9 gal. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...QS3J2G4609X5DG

Also hop skip and go naked's are good. It's been a long time since I have gone down that road lol.
codycleve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2019   #8

Lakewood, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1993
haha...leave it to rafters to put a bunch of beer in their cocktails. I'm surprised there isn't bacon in them too.

I'll kindly ask you to keep the beer out of my Cocktails please.

For margaritas, Keep it simple, a nice blanco Tequila and some sweet and sour and a lime wedge is all you need. I've actually been just taking this pre-mix Margharita... https://coyotegold.com/

It looks and sounds like a horrible frat boy party drink, but it actually uses high quality tequila and tastes great. Its ready to go and you just pour it over ice and maybe add a lime wedge.

I've always wanted to do a large batch Old Fashion or Boulevardier (like a Negroni but with bourbon... one part Compari, One part Sweet Vermouth and 2 parts of your favorite Bourbon or Rye with a twist of lemon or orange rind). Its a little sweet but bitter at the same time.

I like a good Mule too. Very refreshing and you can mix things up by using different ingredients. I'm a big fan of the Irish or Kentucky mule using Whiskey instead of Vodka. You could do this large batch as well.
Electric-Mayhem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2019   #9

Carbondale, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1970
Rogue River Margs. Fill a pitcher with ice. Qt of repisado, 10 limes juiced, 4 tangerines juiced, half cup triple sec.
jgrebe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2019   #10

Austin, Texas
Paddling Since: 1983
The Original Margarita

1 squeezed lime
2 Ounces of your favorite 100% Agave Tequila (Blanco, Repasado, and or Anejo. Take your pick I bring all three for any given river trip for variety).
1 ounce of Cointreau

Combine all three. Shake with ice. Pour into your favorite river mug.

Kick your feet up and savor.....

I typically squeeze 150-200 limes and freeze all in 1 quart nalgenes. Typically three. I then make what I call batches of margaritas for cocktail hour and beyond. My go to recipe is:

300 ml fresh squeezed lime juice
550 ml 100% Agave Tequila (see above)
150-200 ml Cointreau to the rim.

Enjoy!
kayakingphotog is online now   Reply With Quote