Righting a raft/cat mid-stream? - Mountain Buzz

Old 05-09-2015   #1

Montrose, Colorado, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1988
Righting a raft/cat mid-stream?

In theory, it sounds great- you flip in some juicy class 5 rapid, hop up onto the bottom of your cat and right it mid-current in the choppy run out before the next big drop, then get back on the oars and keep going.

I've seen this done once on the Kern River- Thunder Run section- a couple guys in an Avon flipped, got it together, righted their boat in time for the next rapid. This run is fairly pool-drop though-they were in green water, but still impressive that they were so fast-the boat was an oar rig too.

I know several cat boaters who use bungee-style flip lines along their D-rings for fast recovery re-flipping.

How 'bout some stories/experiences with this. I'm interested to hear about righting cats or rafts mid-current- not necessarily in an eddy by shore.

dgoods is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-09-2015   #2

Bellvue, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2006
I feel flipping oar rigs mid stream is dangerous. I watched a guy catch an oar in the face trying it once. If you really feel the need to be a hero, go for it. If you can get the boat ashore quickly, and safely I would go about it in that manner. Sometimes you have no choice though.
39571 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2015   #3

East MT, WestMT, Both sides of the Yellowstone
Paddling Since: 09
pretty common practice really. I carry a 5' flip line in my pfd. Just fliped/refliped last weekend. Under a minute. Much safer than dicking around trying to get to a rocky shore and possibly running more stuff upside down. Pro-loks kept my oars right where the should be too. No chasing loose dangling oars.
spider is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-09-2015   #4

Front Range, Colorado
Paddling Since: 97
Not sure how someone who self rescued could be viewed as a "hero". I'd suggest they did a great job helping themselves a not needed others to bail them out. Yes you can get hit with an oar...I got in a car wreck once and I still choose to drive. I like to wrap a daisy chained 6' webbing around my waist...low side in a wave train.
Hey Zeus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2015   #5

Bellvue, Colorado
a lot of guides wrap shit around there waist to look cool. Its all just shit to get caught on something in my opinion. I keep a 10 foot flip line in my PFD. Flipping your boat over while people are in the water is dangerous, thats just a fact. If it can be avoided, it should
Old 05-09-2015   #6

Bellvue, Colorado
as far as common practices go; it use to be common practice to take mercury for syphilis, but that doesn't make it a good idea.
Old 05-09-2015   #7

Front Range, Colorado
Paddling Since: 97
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spaceghost View Post
a lot of guides wrap shit around there waist to look cool. Its all just shit to get caught on something in my opinion. I keep a 10 foot flip line in my PFD. Flipping your boat over while people are in the water is dangerous, thats just a fact. If it can be avoided, it should
I'll take this as an attack so this will be my last post. I'm not a guide nor have I ever been one. I do like to keep the flip line on me. The OP did ask about an oar rig and I guess I made the assumption the OP was alone. Either way, you can right a raft with folks around and move them to a position of safety. Still not a hero.
Take care,
Hey Zeus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2015   #8

Bellvue, Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hey Zeus View Post
I'll take this as an attack so this will be my last post. I'm not a guide nor have I ever been one. I do like to keep the flip line on me. The OP did ask about an oar rig and I guess I made the assumption the OP was alone. Either way, you can right a raft with folks around and move them to a position of safety. Still not a hero.
Take care,
Didnt mean to bruise your ego there gary. My only point is that it should be avoided if possible. I never said it should never be done. Also, a flip line in your PFD IS on you. Ive also seen people get caught up by the stuff hanging off their person. I like to put my ego aside for the sake of safety. If i have to ask for help to avoid a potentially dangerous situation, I will gladly ask for that help.
Old 05-09-2015   #9
PawPaw

Missoula, Montana
Paddling Since: 1993
I have righted my paddle boat 100s of times midstream, gathered the people, and kept going. 0 mishaps. The mishaps happen when you keep people in the river and all spread out along the bank. Most injuries happen on shore. But all thus depends on the river. I carry my flip line in my PFD.

Sent from my iPhone using Mountain Buzz
Old 05-09-2015   #10

Bellvue, Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by LochsaIdaho View Post
I have righted my paddle boat 100s of times midstream, gathered the people, and kept going. 0 mishaps. The mishaps happen when you keep people in the river and all spread out along the bank. Most injuries happen on shore. But all thus depends on the river. I carry my flip line in my PFD.

Sent from my iPhone using Mountain Buzz
the safety factor in re flipping a paddle boat as compared to an oar raft is very different. I say that with one caveat, it depends on the character of the river. I still feel re flipping any boat mid stream in a low volume river is a bad idea, and should be avoided if possible. high volume rivers have a little more cushion, so to speak.

Also, did you just say you have flipped hundreds of times?