Remove outfitter logo on Maravia - Mountain Buzz

Old 01-18-2019   #1

Roanoke, Virginia
Paddling Since: 2008
Remove outfitter logo on Maravia

I bought a cherry of a boat last year for an extremely good deal...

flyfish_va is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-18-2019   #2

Kalispell, Montana
Paddling Since: 1997
Assuming it's a urethane logo applied at the factory?
Sand it down and paint over it with urethane.

I once had a Maravia Williwaw2 and the previous owner (commercial guide) had done just that. Looked fine for the next 8 years I owned it. I've seen some of her sister boats still on the nearby rivers.
MT4Runner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2019   #3

Roanoke, Virginia
Paddling Since: 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by MT4Runner View Post
Assuming it's a urethane logo applied at the factory?
Sand it down and paint over it with urethane.
Its a factory job for sure.
Maravia says I need to take it all the way down to the PVC fabric, and I'm way sketched out by it.... I really just dont feel comfortable grinding it down THAT far.
flyfish_va is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-18-2019   #4

Wheat Ridge, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1995
I can't believe how many outfitters leave their name on boats they sell to the general public. I think that if you run reaches of river they're permitted on, the boat can still be counted against their permitted allotment. This is why when the guides borrow a boat for an after-work run, they put duct tape over the outfitter's name. Not only that but I've seen some pretty embarrassing crews on boats that had an outfitters name on it.

Maybe you should photo of one of your buddies puking over the logo and send it to the seller with the threat that you'll post it all over the interwebs and Youtubes unless they remove the logo professionally (like he said he would)...

Good luck getting the logo off,

-AH
Nothing in the world is more yielding and gentle than water. Yet it has no equal for conquering the resistant and tough. The flexible can overcome the unbending; the soft can overcome the hard. - Lao Tse
Andy H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2019   #5

Ellensburg, Washington
Paddling Since: 1982
Call Maravia/Cascade River Gear in Boise, and ask for the contact info for Robert Seay, he's their East Coast contact.
GOTY2011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2019   #6

Salida, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1983
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyfish_va View Post
Its a factory job for sure.
Maravia says I need to take it all the way down to the PVC fabric, and I'm way sketched out by it.... I really just dont feel comfortable grinding it down THAT far.

Hopefully Zach at http://raftfix.com/ will chime in on this, he does urethane and would know exactly how to do this. I can't imagine you would need to reach base material, but then I'm not a raft repair guy...
MNichols is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2019   #7
Sponsoring Vendors

Paddling Since: 1994
I don't see why it would have to go clear down to the PVC unless the urethane is super thin. You should be able to sand down the urethane to get through the oxidation skin then re urethane if that is what you want to do. The key with sanding urethane is not to burn it. If you do, you have to sand again through the burned material before you'll get a good bond. You could also patch over it once you sand it if you don't want to urethane it.