Registering Old Rafts in Utah - Mountain Buzz

Old 02-15-2018   #1

Moab, Utah
Paddling Since: 1994
Registering Old Rafts in Utah

Hi Everyone,

I need some help. I have two old Avon rafts 1980 & 1986 that I want to get registered in Utah for motoring out of Westwater and Cat. I don't have a title on either of these rafts, but both have VIN numbers. When I talked to the folks in Moab at the registration desk they said after a sheriff looks at my rafts it might take upwards of 90 days for the state to check all my information and respond. So that would mean no motors till mid-May at this point. Has anyone else had this issue or am doing something stupid?

RetroRafter is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-15-2018   #2

Salt Lake City, Utah
This may not be helpful since you're in Moab, but at the Draper DMV office they are able to walk out and look at the VIN themselves and issue registration on the spot.
bcpnick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2018   #3

St. George, Utah
Paddling Since: 1974
I just went to the DMV office in Washington County, showed them the raft and walked back inside and got my registration. All you need is the serial number and proof of ownership to register a watercraft. Small motors are not titled either.
Visit the DMV website for information.
dsrtrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-15-2018   #4

debeque, Colorado
In Colorado its different

We don't go the dmv,but instead to the Colorado parks /rec division.They only require a serial number/length/maker,for any inflatable powered by anything other than human.You then make removable placards or paint on the numbers they give you for registration.Sounds like the nightmare you are put through to register a raft,is akin to a lost title on a car here.Good luck!
lilbillm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2018   #5

Moab, Utah
Paddling Since: 1994
Thanks! I will be up in SLC for a show in a week I might bring it by.
RetroRafter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2018   #6
Beater

Salt Lake City, Utah
It's basically the same in Utah

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilbillm View Post
We don't go the dmv,but instead to the Colorado parks /rec division.They only require a serial number/length/maker,for any inflatable powered by anything other than human.You then make removable placards or paint on the numbers they give you for registration.Sounds like the nightmare you are put through to register a raft,is akin to a lost title on a car here.Good luck!
The registration req's in UT are similar to CO, the process is different. Say you build a sailboat out of plywood, you still have to register it, just make up a serial number and let the authority in question know you made it and need to register it. You can show them receipts for supplies if requested. The difference is jurisdiction, Moab doesn't see the number of boat registrations than more northern UT locales, probably why it would take a lot longer. Off-topic but I'm glad I don't have the hassle of plating my non-commercially made trailer as it's most likely under 750 lbs.
Shaft is offline   Reply With Quote