Rec.gov annoyance - Page 3 - Mountain Buzz

Old 03-11-2019   #21

East Wenatchee, Washington
Paddling Since: 1976
This is posted at the top of the Middle Fork page - showed up this morning. Don't know if this is the answer to "where have the permits gone"?

Info:
The Middle Fork of the Salmon is working with the available software resources to create and implement the technology needed to conduct a secondary lottery process to award cancellations in the future.

Advertisement

Old 03-11-2019   #22

salmon, Idaho
Paddling Since: 2004
I didn't see any middle fork or mains this morning. But I saw all the hells canyons get released yesterday afternoon, when they where supposed to be released at 8am this morning. This doesn't bode well that the middle fork and main where actually released this morning at 8am.
codycleve is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2019   #23

Laramie, Wyoming
Paddling Since: 1984
Quote:
Originally Posted by John_in_Loveland View Post
Did anyone see any MFS "declined" permits available this morning.

John, NO, and I'm sure that I witnessed 4 Rivers permits getting claimed Sunday evening. I messaged Salmon-Challis USFS to question if RecDotGov released the 4 Rivers cancellations several hours early, no response back from the river office yet, but I'm very suspicious.
hiloper is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-11-2019   #24

Fort Collins, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2002
Quote:
Originally Posted by John_in_Loveland View Post
Did anyone see any MFS "declined" permits available this morning.
I didnt see anything when I checked at 7:30 AM (MT), then again right on the buzzer at 8:00 AM I looked for Hells, MFS, and Main and didnt see anything except a September 8th on Hells.

I didnt expect to see anything though...

From what I understand any permits that are declined will just randomly be thrown out on the recreation.gov site for the taking. I guess one just has to check randomly ALL the freaking time for a permit? Kind of a pain in the neck. I'd prefer a daily release timeframe for canceled permits.
markfortcollins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2019   #25

Salt Lake City, Utah
Paddling Since: 1997
Quote:
Originally Posted by markfortcollins View Post
I'd prefer a daily release timeframe for canceled permits.

I disagree. Your odds are much better if the permits are released randomly. I'm happy they are going back to the old system.
Riverwild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2019   #26

Boise, Idaho
I saw this reply on Facebook just now. Looks like I wasn't the only person that saw zero permits this morning:

"U.S. Forest Service - Salmon-Challis National Forest There have been several comments today that no permits appeared to have been released this morning at 8am. Unfortunately, I do not have any information to help answer those questions. I'd suggest calling the Middle Fork Ranger District at 208-879-4101 for a more timely response to those questions. We appreciate your patience and feedback!"
IDriverRunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2019   #27

Pendleton, Oregon
Paddling Since: 2005
Releasing cancelled permits on a random day to day basis? My prayers have been answered! Maybe I'll be able to get my family on the Middle Fork after all. Hope this is true.
crossfox21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2019   #28

Boise, Idaho
I saw a June 28th Main at approx. 3pm today (of course I missed it). Looks like they are doing random times again. When I was on at 8am, refreshing like crazy until 9am, there was nothing.
IdahoJennifer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2019   #29

Boise, Idaho
I am probably in the minority here, but I actually preferred the system in place last year. I only had to have my hopes and dreams shattered once a day at exactly 8:00:01AM every morning.
IDriverRunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2019   #30

East Wenatchee, Washington
Paddling Since: 1976
Quote:
Originally Posted by IdahoJennifer View Post
I saw a June 28th Main at approx. 3pm today (of course I missed it). Looks like they are doing random times again. When I was on at 8am, refreshing like crazy until 9am, there was nothing.
I let a friend know about the "1st one" one on the 28th and he got it. Just a bit later one showed for a brief time for the 29th. Then, another showed up again for the 28th and was quickly swept up.