Rec.gov annoyance - Page 2 - Mountain Buzz

Old 03-06-2019   #11

Loveland, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1990
Does anyone know why the permit fee went up to $200? I got an April 16 and was shocked at the cost when only 2 people were on it to start.

John_in_Loveland is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-06-2019   #12

Salt Lake City, Utah
Paddling Since: 1997
Quote:
Originally Posted by John_in_Loveland View Post
Does anyone know why the permit fee went up to $200? I got an April 16 and was shocked at the cost when only 2 people were on it to start.

It's been a standard flat rate of $185 for a while now. Plus your $15 reservation fee and you get your $200. I believe they are looking at raising the rates even further. It really hurts the small groups which have the least impact on the camping sites IMHO.
Riverwild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2019   #13

Bailey, Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by sockdolager View Post
Dont give up. People will be canceling dates once they figure out someone else in their group got a permit for the same time frame. Our group will be canceling a fall date because of this.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2tomcat2 View Post
Agree with sockdolager, be persistent, as many times as you can possibly check the site, stay positive, good luck to all!
Last summer, I saw a Yampa permit pop up the day before its launch date. If you can't make the trip, cancel it sooner so others have a chance to go. It turned into a wasted permit.
Beaver Whisperer is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-10-2019   #14

North Powder, Oregon
Paddling Since: 1998
Out of curiosity, with the one permit at a time rule, could low-season permit-holders snag a high-season date, and then cancel the initial reservation? Or would the rangers have an issue with the brief overlap where two permits were held?
NEOR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2019   #15

Denver, Colorado
I don't think the one permit rule applies to non-lottery dates, although I may be wrong about that.
markhusbands is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2019   #16

North Powder, Oregon
Paddling Since: 1998
Quote:
Originally Posted by markhusbands View Post
I don't think the one permit rule applies to non-lottery dates, although I may be wrong about that.
The one trip per year rule applies to lottery dates, but in addition you aren't allowed to hold more than one permit for high or low at the same time. Probably a moot point since getting a prime cancellation is unlikely, but want to make sure that if it does come up I go about it the right way. Has anyone heard of this being a problem? Thanks.
NEOR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2019   #17

Pendleton, Oregon
Paddling Since: 2005
My internet connection is slow because I can't afford the faster version. I think Rec.Gov needs to level the playing field and let the poor folks have a chance at getting a permit too. Otherwise, I feel I'm being discriminated due to lack of funds for ISDN internet connection.
It used to be you could check through out the day for a cancellation....now the show is over by 8:01AM MST and the poor folks with slow service are left in the dust.
REC.GOV---PLEASE FIX THIS!!!!!!!
crossfox21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2019   #18

salmon, Idaho
Paddling Since: 2004
Quote:
Originally Posted by crossfox21 View Post
My internet connection is slow because I can't afford the faster version. I think Rec.Gov needs to level the playing field and let the poor folks have a chance at getting a permit too. Otherwise, I feel I'm being discriminated due to lack of funds for ISDN internet connection.
It used to be you could check through out the day for a cancellation....now the show is over by 8:01AM MST and the poor folks with slow service are left in the dust.
REC.GOV---PLEASE FIX THIS!!!!!!!
I believe they are going back to the old system. see the bolded in their announcement.

Starting at 8 a.m. Mountain Time on Monday, March 11, 2019, any declined lottery launch dates that were awarded for the Salmon River will be released. Any lottery dates that have already been declined will go out all at once; launch dates that are declined afterwards will be released randomly. On Saturday, March 16, at 8 a.m. MT, any unconfirmed dates will be released all at once.
codycleve is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2019   #19

East Wenatchee, Washington
Paddling Since: 1976
BOT's might be back in play since I see no CAPTCHA types of signing that was required last year. Permits for Hell's Canyon started showing last evening the 10th.

Never a dull moment.
Old 03-11-2019   #20

Loveland, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1990
Quote:
Originally Posted by codycleve View Post
I believe they are going back to the old system. see the bolded in their announcement.

Starting at 8 a.m. Mountain Time on Monday, March 11, 2019, any declined lottery launch dates that were awarded for the Salmon River will be released. Any lottery dates that have already been declined will go out all at once; launch dates that are declined afterwards will be released randomly. On Saturday, March 16, at 8 a.m. MT, any unconfirmed dates will be released all at once.

Did anyone see any MFS "declined" permits available this morning.
John_in_Loveland is offline   Reply With Quote