Rec.gov - Mountain Buzz

Old 02-16-2014   #1

jackson, Wyoming
Paddling Since: 1976
Rec.gov

Rec.gov. I don't like this new system. Opinions?

stuntsheriff is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-16-2014   #2

Golden, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1975
making it easier to apply = more competition = less likely to get a permit= it sucks.

cancellations are now for cubicle jockey teams manning the refresh button 24/7 (only half a joke there). i remember 10+ years ago, calling in for cancellations on the mfs in august and i was on the river 2 days later with several other further out options available to boot. those days are long over now.
upshitscreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2014   #3

Niwot, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2005
Quote:
Originally Posted by upshitscreek View Post
making it easier to apply = more competition = less likely to get a permit= it sucks.

cancellations are now for cubicle jockey teams manning the refresh button 24/7 (only half a joke there). i remember 10+ years ago, calling in for cancellations on the mfs in august and i was on the river 2 days later with several other further out options available to boot. those days are long over now.
So - what is exactly the process to get permit from a cancellation? This was what they said but it seem that you need to call in to get a cancellation or can they be snagged online?

"All open trips will be filled beginning March 3, 2014 on a first-come, first-served call-in basis. Only one permit may be acquired per phone call. The River Office will not accept walk-in or postcard requests for reservations for river permits. We do not maintain a waiting list. Beginning February 28th, available launch date information may be obtained by calling 1-866-825-2995. To obtain a permit for an available launch date, you must call the River Office on or after March 3."
Advertisement

Old 02-17-2014   #4

cedar city, Utah
I think the only winner is Reserve America and their mother corporation InterActiveCorp. Smart little buggers they are. They had a revenue of close to $3 billion in 2012. They own everything from Vimeo to Match.com .

Not sure about the statistical math and increased use. System really isn't that much easier but the #s will tell over time. At least the river permits lotteries don't have an additional charge like some of the rec.gov services. When you use them, which you must, to reserve cabins or campgrounds you incur an additional $10 charge. I assume that fee is going to the private company along with their $95 million dollar contract award.

Phillip
restrac2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2014   #5

Boise, Idaho
I am a big fan of rec.gov and the 'new' online system. It's quick and easy to use. It removes most ambiguity with confirmation emails and being able to log into your account. You know where you stand at all times.

Ease of use and convenience have increased use to beyond the 'hard core' boater to be sure. While this this does reduce the chance of an individual pulling a permit I have to think it's good for the boating community. I would also suspect (no proof) that more cancellations are being picked up and used because visibility has increased.

What they need to do is go to the weighted lottery that they talked about last year. I believe (someone correct me if I'm wrong) that would increase a person's odds if they have applied consecutive years for the same permit and not drawn. This would help people that have faithfully applied every year and never drawn which are the ones that deserve it if anyone does.

I was wondering whatever happened with the weighted lottery and found this update. It looks like we have to wait for the next contract with their provider. If we are lucky it might be in place for the 2017 lottery for the Selway and MFS?

http://www.fs.usda.gov/Internet/FSE_...rdb5441447.pdf
BlueTurf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2014   #6

Golden, Colorado
ironmanbldr, i am referring to the 4 rivers lottery/permits, not lodore. good luck with it.
upshitscreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2014   #7

Idaho Falls, Idaho
Glad to see the weighted lottery went away for now - I hope it stays gone. It doesn't actually benefit drawing odds, and can be a deterrent to new boaters. If there are the same number of people applying for a permit, and the system favors one group of people, it by default discriminates against the remaining people in the system. Works good if you are in the small pool, but once you are in the big pool, you actually draw less frequently.

Nothing's more fair than a random draw.
avondan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2014   #8

Jenks, Oklahoma
Another vote for the open lottery. Also another vote for post that said the only winner in the computer permit program is the contractor who runs the system. I hope the contract renewal does not go to the same outfit that did the insurance system.

As a retired I/T Manager and programmer, I believe that ten dollar use fee to reserve a camp site is a rip off to the tax payer. Very little programming or computer power to run that system after initial code work done. Wonder if the federales purchased the code or just the use of the system ?
okieboater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2014   #9

portland, Oregon
Paddling Since: 1991
I'm OK with the lottery. Not ok with the reserve usa cancellation and reservation fees unless they go to the government.

This is not private free enterprise as there is no competition for the service and the contracts are awarded based on politics. I'd rather the government had paid for the software and then pay a staff to maintain and operate it.
Old 02-17-2014   #10
Dipshit with the most.

Bellevue, Idaho
Paddling Since: 1991
I have picked up a permit at 2:00 in the AM. I like that. I miss talking to the rangers to manually book the permit so now I call them everyone once in a while just to say hi.
carvedog is offline   Reply With Quote