Ramping up rafting skills - Mountain Buzz

Old 06-10-2008   #1

Ramping up rafting skills

JUst got into rafting after 8 years of yakin. I have run/guided the eagle from avon to wolcott(2500cfs) upper c at 6000k and Roaring fork cemetary run thru south canyon at high water. These are pretty straight forward runs. The eagle seems to be a pretty good training ground but is a butt kicker at the higher flows. What other local runs would be similiar to what we have done or maybe a little more technical. Woody creek RF browns fractions,, possibly when the flows moderate. Upper blue? Maybe just run the same stuff with harder lines I guess. I really prefer r2 and r3 so I dont have so many people to coordinate( hats off to guides it is really tricky to get 6 people to work together).

thogan is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-10-2008   #2

browns canyon is a fun run to raft. It has a few bigger drops to get you going.
pcrawford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2008   #3
Beginner

Eastern Slope, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1980
"(hats off to guides it is really tricky to get 6 people to work together)."

Finally the respect we deserve! Make that 6 Texans and it does get difficult! If you want a little bit more technical, come try out the Poudre while the water is up. There are several good runs of class 3 and 4 and if you're already used to reading water you should be fine. Bring a broach kit.
Randaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-10-2008   #4

Silverthorne, Colorado
upper blue is pretty straight forward, come down to clear creek and run the dumont section!!
rivermountaingnar42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2008   #5

boulder, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2005
I second the poudre
davecosnowboarder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2008   #6

Quote:
Bring a broach kit.
Huh?

What about an oar boat on the poudre? Recommended?
bula is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2008   #7
Beginner

Eastern Slope, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1980
Quote:
Originally Posted by bula View Post
Huh?

What about an oar boat on the poudre? Recommended?
Broach kit = static rope, webbing, carabiners, pulleys, and prussiks for when you wrap the raft around a bridge (or Randy's rock!)

People do row the Poudre, but it's tricky. I'm waiting for 4 feet to row the mini-me down. Oar tethers might be a good idea as I've seen a lot of posts lately about lost oars on the Poudre.
Randaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2008   #8

Pugetopolis, Washington
Paddling Since: 96
Hell yes we oar the poudre. I can't stand paddling. We started oaring it when it was around 2.8ish this season,maybe. Upper mish to BTO is a fuggin blast. We had a 12 footer flip last weekend in Pinevu,his oars weren't tethered but somehow he managed to find em both. Some company found one in an eddy,i believe. I do recommend tethers. Oarin on the Poudre will definitely teach you how to make some shallow,deliberate strokes. Techy
BarryDingle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2008   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randaddy View Post
People do row the Poudre, but it's tricky. I'm waiting for 4 feet to row the mini-me down. Oar tethers might be a good idea as I've seen a lot of posts lately about lost oars on the Poudre.
What line do you take through pine view? I want to try and take my 12' raft through with an oar frame at 4' plus, but the line I was looking at (basically my kayaking line, start left, work right, try to hit the v-wave at the top right and punch through into the eddy) I was told might not work so well in a raft.
jaffy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2008   #10

Pugetopolis, Washington
Paddling Since: 96
No need to wait for 4ft.,its good to go(though i haven't checked the rock report so it may already be there.) Basically the same line,i've never tried to catch the eddy after the V-wave,just square up to the wave-punch through,then maybe a backstroke or two to set yourself up right down the middle of the falls. I haven't done the left side yet(disney slide?) in the raft. Shiit's fun
BarryDingle is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
rafting