Rafting the Rogue at highish flows? - Mountain Buzz

Old 05-03-2017   #1

Olympia, Washington
Paddling Since: 2015
Rafting the Rogue at highish flows?

Eight of us are embarking on the Grave Creek (Galice) to Foster Bar section of the Rogue this coming weekend. We will be in packrafts and rafts. Two of us have paddled the section before but at low summer flows. We are all comfortable paddling class 3, but questionable at class 4. Flows are at 9k right now, and on American whitewater when it flows exceed 10k the river turns to a classification 4...the river is projected to be at ~13k during our trip. My question is does anyone have beta for the river at these flows? I know some rivers become easier, and some harder at higher flows. Any insight on what we can expect the river to behave at that flow would be very much appreciated, so we can plan accordingly. Thanks,

Redfern2112 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-03-2017   #2

Grass Valley, California
Paddling Since: 1995
I have run it at low flows( 3500-4000) and at 8000. At 8k the hydraulics are more powerful, and the river is up into the strainers along the bank. Mule Creek Canyon has powerful currents and will pull tubes down. Wildcat and Blossom Bar will be solid class IV's. With pack rafts , I would be concerned about them holding up.
Perhaps look at the Grande Ronde or the Klamath.
fcpnorman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2017   #3

Jackson, Wyoming
Paddling Since: 91'
All I remember is watch out for Blossum Bar! Don't get wrapped!
rubtheduck is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-03-2017   #4

Portland, Oregon
Paddling Since: 2012
I'll be running that same stretch this weekend in a group of 6 cats. I've run it at high flows before. The river is definitely moving faster but I don't think its necessarily any more difficult to run.
rogue_squirrel99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2017   #5

Creswell, Oregon
Paddling Since: 2000
When they say the river turns into a class 4 at 10,000 cfs I think they are talking about the Grants Pass gauge. Right now it is only at 6,300. Not that isn't an interesting level. It's pretty pushy at that level and if you are going to take packrafts, I hope you post results
Ezcruzr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2017   #6
Jared

Dundee, Oregon
Paddling Since: 1989
Quote:
Originally Posted by rubtheduck View Post
All I remember is watch out for Blossum Bar! Don't get wrapped!
Just to be clear, once you hit about 5K on the Grants Pass gauge, the wrap potential has gone away. The "Picket fence" is a wave and/or hole, and there is a right side channel that can be run pretty easily. It looks a little big and scary when scouted, but in a raft or kayak seems easier. Below that, the threat is still there. I am most likely generalizing the flows a bit, but I've run it over 5000 twice now and both times that was my experience.
Old 05-09-2017   #7

Grants Pass, Oregon
Paddling Since: 1980
Quote:
Originally Posted by rogue_squirrel99 View Post
I'll be running that same stretch this weekend in a group of 6 cats. I've run it at high flows before. The river is definitely moving faster but I don't think its necessarily any more difficult to run.
How was it? Pics? Video?

It was running pretty high last weekend. The guys at Lost Creek Dam let out a little water.

I launch on Friday with bad weather projected. Wish the weather would hold like it is now.
Roguelawyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2017   #8

Grants Pass, Oregon
Paddling Since: 1980
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redfern2112 View Post
Eight of us are embarking on the Grave Creek (Galice) to Foster Bar section of the Rogue this coming weekend. We will be in packrafts and rafts. Two of us have paddled the section before but at low summer flows. We are all comfortable paddling class 3, but questionable at class 4. Flows are at 9k right now, and on American whitewater when it flows exceed 10k the river turns to a classification 4...the river is projected to be at ~13k during our trip. My question is does anyone have beta for the river at these flows? I know some rivers become easier, and some harder at higher flows. Any insight on what we can expect the river to behave at that flow would be very much appreciated, so we can plan accordingly. Thanks,
Did you go? Pics or video?
Roguelawyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2017   #9

Olympia, Washington
Paddling Since: 2015
Just got back last night, lots of fun. We packrafted the first two days and it was doable but at that level it's pretty boily and squirrely for the packraft. All the rapids leading up to mule creek canyon were clean and straight forward, lots of big wave trains. Mule creek was very boily and we decided to hop in the big rafts for that section, glad we did as it prob would have had us for lunch, also didnt look like a good place to swim at those flows. Blossom had a clean line on left and right as the picket fence was submerged. Awesome trip!
Redfern2112 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2017   #10

Eugene, Oregon
Paddling Since: 1996
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redfern2112;54271f4
Just got back last night, lots of fun. We packrafted the first two days and it was doable but at that level it's pretty boily and squirrely for the packraft. All the rapids leading up to mule creek canyon were clean and straight forward, lots of big wave trains. Mule creek was very boily and we decided to hop in the big rafts for that section, glad we did as it prob would have had us for lunch, also didnt look like a good place to swim at those flows. Blossom had a clean line on left and right as the picket fence was submerged. Awesome trip!
Glad you had a good trip. You couldn't get me to take a pack raft through Mule Creek. At higher flows I've had tube suck that would swallow a pack raft whole. Crazy hydros in there.
Soup76 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
rafting