Rafting Permitted Rivers - Mountain Buzz

Old 08-07-2017   #1

Bozeman, Montana
Rafting Permitted Rivers

Sorry if this has been discussed before, I didn't see anything when searching the forum. I'd like to do the Salmon River next year, but I know my odds of getting a permit are marginal. I don't want to go on one of those commercial trips where they fit a bunch of people in a raft and do "glamping". Anyone aware of a commercial company that leads trips down the Salmon river? I have my own raft and supplies that I want to use. It would be nice to go with a few other groups and a guide who would be willing to give you rafting tips and explain the history and so forth of the river.
I found a commercial raft company that offers a WFR course and it's a 5-6 day class on the Salmon river. They even mentioned that you can bring your own raft/gear. However, It was last June and I don't think they will be doing it again next summer. Bummer..

walterwhite is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-07-2017   #2
Dipshit with the most.

Bellevue, Idaho
Paddling Since: 1991
It's not that hard to get on the river. April on the Main Salmon is wide open for permits, not too cold and not too high usually. In June it starts to become a little more serious of flow depending on the winter.

Going on a guided trip is not too hard either. Having a few private rafts and a "guide" come along is not likely to happen. At least not legally.

I do know a friend who did a training trip on the Main with an outfitter in April and he had a blast and learned a bit too. He took his own raft.

They did it in four days so you are moving a bit faster but it seemed worth it.
carvedog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2017   #3
Paddling in to the Future

Boise, Idaho
Paddling Since: 2000
there is always a September 9 launch on the main salmon, still plenty of water, and the weather is pretty good generally too.. I wouldn't pay an outfitter thousands to do what I can do myself more enjoyable.
Advertisement

Old 08-07-2017   #4

Bozeman, Montana
I don't have the first hand experience, nor do I know people that would be capable of running it.
Old 08-07-2017   #5

Boise, Idaho
what would be the difference in running it with or without a permit? for what its worth, my 15 year old daughter who had never rowed a full day in her life, rowed a 14 ft raft for the entire stretch last year. one gal in our group rode a SUP the entire trip. (we're talking the main salmon here, nothing death defying)
Old 08-07-2017   #6

Bozeman, Montana
Sorry if I didn't clarify. I only mentioned the permit because it would be nice to go mid July/ Early August. I was thinking more about the South Fork..
Old 08-07-2017   #7

Boise, Idaho
what outfitter you think is going to take you on the south fork? are you confused and meaning middle fork?
Old 08-07-2017   #8

Bozeman, Montana
Sorry! Yes, I meant Middle.

Sierra Rescue WFR - Canyons River Company
Old 08-07-2017   #9

Bozeman, Montana
Thought that was pretty reasonable, especially for $1,500. I figured there must be some commercial/outfitters that take groups out similar to this. The WFR alone is usually 500-700.
Old 08-07-2017   #10

Bozeman, Montana

The rapids don't look bad, but I still feel that having a another person/group would be a wise choice.

Tags
rafting