Rafting in Oregon or Northern Cali - Mountain Buzz

Old 05-03-2018   #1

summit, Colorado
Rafting in Oregon or Northern Cali

Hi Buzzards -
I'm contemplating booking a *gasp* commercial rafting trip. Doing a road trip down the coast from Portland to San Francisco later this month, and we're thinking about trying to squeeze in a day of rafting. Being from Colorado, we're totally unfamiliar with the boating out there. If you had one day to go rafting, what river/stretch would you hit in that area if you were looking for just a nice class III-IV day trip? And are there any companies you recommend (or vehemently NOT recommend)?

basinrafter is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-03-2018   #2
Sponsoring Vendor

Central Point, Oregon
Get ahold Will at Indigo Creek rafting for a run on the Upper Klamath. Great people and super fun section of IV+. It is like a whitewater skate park.
Whitewater Worthy Equip is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2018   #3

Jackson County, Oregon
Paddling Since: 1979
If you're starting in Portland, the Upper Clackamas might be worth a look, or the White Salmon in Washington. Heading south you could check out the Santiam outside of Salem, the McKenzie outside of Eugene, the North Umpqua outside of Roseburg, and there's a handful of day runs on the Rogue in southern Oregon. I'm not familiar with the companies that guide on the Santiam, McKenzie, or N. Umpqua. Down south there's a handful of companies in Ashland. Momentum, Noah's, Indigo etc. All are good. And agree with WWE, the Upper Klamath is a blast if you're looking for a bit more thrilling whitewater.

You mentioned you will be heading down the coast. Not sure if you mean right on the coast, Hwy 101, or just down I-5. Keep in mind, most of these rivers are east of I-5.

Have fun!
VandyIn541 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-03-2018   #4

Denver, Colorado
Upper K!!
pkemp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2018   #5

Eureka, California
Paddling Since: 1991
"You mentioned you will be heading down the coast. Not sure if you mean right on the coast, Hwy 101, or just down I-5. Keep in mind, most of these rivers are east of I-5."

Have fun![/QUOTE]

Except the upper Klamath, the Trinity, Klamath, Smith, Eel Rivers are west of I-5 in Northern California. Several outfitters guide on the Trinity & the Klamath west of I-5, Klamath fun runs : Happy Camp and Ferry Point are III's on the .
Trinity: Pigeon Pt. or Haden, sometimes they're run Burnt Ranch Gorge
kanoer2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2018   #6

Klamath Falls, Oregon
Paddling Since: 1998
Upper K

The upper klamath!!
kfalls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2018   #7

Arnold, California
Tuolumne or Cherry Creek. Or combine and do a multiday Cherry Creek /Tuolumne trip
All Outdoors or Sierra Mac are both great.
Old 05-09-2018   #8

Sacramento, California
Paddling Since: 1989
What SherpaDave said. If you have a good amount of experience and want something you most likely won't be able to do as a private boater (due to difficulty), for for the Tuolumne or Cherry Creek.
Styk33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2018   #9

Buena Vista, Colorado
Paddling Since: 94
Cal salmon in Northern CA is one of my favorite rivers I've ever run. Late May should be a good time to run it.

Sent from my iPhone using Mountain Buzz
eddie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2018   #10

Ceres, California
Paddling Since: 1999
Send a message via ICQ to ryanx7 Send a message via AIM to ryanx7 Send a message via MSN to ryanx7 Send a message via Yahoo to ryanx7 Send a message via Skype™ to ryanx7
Upper K is a ton of fun. Will at ICO is awesome and they run solid trips.

Sent from my SM-T820 using Mountain Buzz mobile app
ryanx7 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
rafting