Rafting in New York State - Mountain Buzz

Old 12-08-2017   #1
Pieter Porcupine

Salida, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1985
Rafting in New York State

What Rivers in NYS are navigable by raft?
Upper Hudson
Black
Moose
Boreas

What else?!

Advertisement

Old 12-08-2017   #2

Lakewood, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1993
I bet you could get a raft down Fish Creek when its running too. Its in the Syracuse/Utica area. Definitely plenty of good whitewater in NY. Lived there for almost two years and managed to get out quite a bit. It was a while ago so I'm having a hard time remembering...but Fish Creek was the closest thing to me and I would always go paddle it when it came up (took about 2-3 days of rain to bring it up). I always kayaked it, but its definitely big enough to raft.
Electric-Mayhem is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2017   #3

Aurora, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2000
Dude- there's so much water up there. You've named the most popular rafting rivers. The Cedar also comes to mind as a cool section you could put a small raft down at the right levels.

Depending on what you're looking for, there are SO MANY rivers that will float a raft. Many of those are Class I-II, punctuated by falls that most people wouldn't want anything to do with- or small town reservoirs, but you could float a lot of sections avoiding these features.

Here's a google map from American Whitewater: https://www.google.com/maps/d/u/0/vi...5989264849&z=9
climbdenali is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-08-2017   #4

North Hudson, United States
Fish is definitely. So is Catskill creek. Really tons of stuff. The issue is access and water level. At certain levels almost everything is raftable.

Others, Moose (upper, middle and bottom, south, etc). Salmon. Lower Hudson (below gorge, ideally at 7-9ft, never seen it higher than 9 but I understand it gets incredible at 10).

Sacandaga. Schroon (at 7.5ft Big Drop/Little Missy is a solid class IV with an easy line surrounded nice holes and 5-6ft waves at the end).

Neversink gorge in Catskills (around 1000cfs), Raquette, south Grasse.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Mountain Buzz mobile app
MountainVisions is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2017   #5

Moose is probably best rafted above 6ft on the MCKEEVER gauge. I ran it at 3.7 ft once and was dragging my canoe in spots. I ran it at 6ft once and got my ass kicked. A little higher would have been fun in a raft... Probably around 7-8ft.

Old 12-11-2017   #6

Look at the Esopus near Allaben NY. It's part of the NY city water supply and it has the flows increased from a pipeline under the mountain. Lots of tubers in the summer but it does get going in the spring and after lots of rain.
zercon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2017   #7

Not sure the Esopus is a great rafting river. Although I haven't seen it at high natural flow, only scheduled releases. At those releases it's class 2+/3 but relatively short, about 3 miles. I think release flows are around 1000cfs, but it can get higher during a major rain storm or spring melt off. Be careful of strainers.

Tags
rafting