Rafting Browns at 750 cfs - Mountain Buzz

Old 07-26-2007   #1

Summit, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2005
Rafting Browns at 750 cfs

I have ran Browns above a 1000 cfs. I am thinking about running it this weekend and was wondering if there is anything I should be concerned about. BTW I have a 13 ft oar rig. Any info would be awesome. Planning on putting in at Ruby and taking out at Hecla.

ecarlson972 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-26-2007   #2

Blue Shiver, CO, Colorado
no problem

Other than more rock dodging, no problem.....bring along your fishing buddies, great run for fishing at this level.
smittyvwbus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2007   #3

It's just bony as hell then. I ran it in my 14' oar rig last year around 800 and just thought it was a PITA. Make sure you take the left on Zume and be prepared to feel like a pinball at the end of the day but you shouldn't have any real problems.
Osprey is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-26-2007   #4
Cactus Jack

Evergreen, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1975
Quote:
Originally Posted by ecarlson972 View Post
I have ran Browns above a 1000 cfs. I am thinking about running it this weekend and was wondering if there is anything I should be concerned about. BTW I have a 13 ft oar rig. Any info would be awesome. Planning on putting in at Ruby and taking out at Hecla.
Widowemaker can be tricky as well as Big Drop. Cheat Big drop Left. you can take a small piece of the hole. Don't gut it. It will lauch you.
It gets boney after you pas the big spliter rock after the toilet bowl. try to ues the eddie behind the ride of rock on river left to move to river left to avoid rocks in center of chanel. Upstream ferry behind that ridge to get left and all should be good. Good Luck.
Cactus Jack
Cactus Jack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2007   #5

TOUCHDOWN, Mississippi
Paddling Since: 2000
Quote:
Originally Posted by ecarlson972 View Post
-Just after ruby there are some bony spots with specific channels (diamond move, chalk creek requires a right run).

-Widow after decision rock is tricky ... (the section after the toilet bowl, aka the "meatgrinder rocks" run far left like catcus said)

-Hemmoroid rock after widowmaker on the left can be tricky at 750. Back off of it, but look out for "rookie rock" on the right that the current wants to put you in. (great beach on the right here... I'd say one boat per large pod has trouble with hemmoroid)

-Graveyard after raft ripper is pretty bony.... tombstone slot is a must at anything below 750.
OleMissBoater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2007   #6

B.V., Colorado
why not go to stone...hecla gets stupid busy with commercials, shuttle is easier, more time on rio!!!!
Melrose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2007   #7

Eagle County, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2002
The rest of the way to stone bridge, talk about bony and slow, eww.

I'll be out tomorrow in my 13fter, I'll let you know how it goes. I don't know any of the names of most of the rapids, much less the rocks, but I did last year super low, 650 or something, and was read and run. I'm not really a regular over there- I'll try to remember to go left if I can't tell where to go, haha.
WhiteLightning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2007   #8

750 is still plenty of water in there its not low until you get in the 300s and lower. I would say you have nothing to worry about just read and run the whole thing.
Nathan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2007   #9

Eagle, Idaho
Paddling Since: '78
Read and run, it's not THAT bony, fishing should be good.
GoodTimes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2007   #10

I've never run browns - is it as bony as the poudre right now? My nephew is in town and we ran Upper Mish on Wednesday, which was really rocky and not much in the way of rapids. He wants to go again, but I'd rather take him on something with some water in it.

Think Browns would be a good choice, or anyone have a better suggestion? We'd be taking a 12' oar rig down.
jaffy is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
browns, rafting