Rafting Bailey - Mountain Buzz

Old 06-21-2011   #1

Indian Hills, Colorado
Rafting Bailey

What are people's experiences with rafting Bailey? Recommended flows? Would R3ing a 12 ft be an ideal situation? Just curious.

DanOrion is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-21-2011   #2

Boulder, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1995
I think it was included in an AW article about ten years ago called "You can't take a raft down that".

If you had a good crew, and weren't afraid to carry it through a few hard spots, i think that would be the right size boat.

Has Stingingrivers shredded it?

(seven two 0)-298-2242
Dave Frank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2011   #3

Lakewood, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1989
Quote:
Originally Posted by DanOrion View Post
What are people's experiences with rafting Bailey? Recommended flows? Would R3ing a 12 ft be an ideal situation? Just curious.
I would imagine portaging might be troublesome if you plan on going around anything (first falls would be the obvious one).
Advertisement

Old 06-21-2011   #4

Boulder, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1995
you might have to turn it on its side to get it out of the river, but the big three have a railroad grade along side them.

I might be most concerned about getting it through the "Notch".

I'd look for 400 cfs as the easiest compromise between shallow and pushy.

(seven two 0)-298-2242
Dave Frank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2011   #5

I'd be willing to run with you or get my hyside shredder going along? been wanting to run it for some time in rubber and plastic! might know another crew that may want to go as well?
brettb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2011   #6

oh yeah
my first run through bailey was in a puma w/ 2 others. we walked first falls and the top of super max but the rest went at 300cfs. it's a great and often overlooked raft run. another fun one is LSB w/ the sweet dam drop.
stingingrivers has R1'd it in his stinger.
danger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2011   #7
Don

Preacher of the Profit Paddling Since: 1990
Rafting

The rapids are not the issue on Bailey for rafting. Right now I don't see how you could fit under some of the wires and bridges above 4 Falls. It is a tight squeeze laying down on the back deck of a kayak. Wait until it's under 450-500. The rapids are no different than any other river. You will need to walk 1st drop at 4 falls and maybe SuperMax.
Old 06-21-2011   #8

Golden, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2005
Personally I would have to say it's not the best idea. Will definitely have to portage around some obstacles (fences, 1st falls) . Don't forget we no longer have the old put in as an option. I'm not sure a raft would fit nicely past the drain pipe in the culvert. Either way you get down the river, please make sure you don't take a shit at any point down this section. This is a favorite for most of us and we can't afford more upset land owners
Old 06-22-2011   #9

Salida, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1993
I have r-1ed it quite a few times, it is a super fun raft run for an experienced boater.

My recommended levels are from 250 to 500ish, the biggest problem above that is fitting under the bridges especially the one above the dream house.

I have always portaged 1st falls and the top of super max, everything else goes.

The areas to watch out for is the boogie water, it is always going and there is always wood.

My consistent problem area is the section just below four falls, the moves are not super hard but tight.

I would think an r3 but would be fine in a 12' possibly an r4 but you are adding weight which changes your set up time and in some places you do not have that kind of time.

As far as put in goes, it has been awhile since I have run it and always used the old put in on then ranchers access road below the culvert bridge. I never really looked at that bridge to see if I could fit, but am doubtful a raft would fit through.

Let me know if you have other questions, as it is super fun rafting.

Danger, screw that dam drop on LSB my neck hurts just thinking about it. Let's paddle soon, we will be in the valley over the 4th.
stinginrivers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2011   #10

Boulder, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2000
I r-2ed it a couple summers ago. Portaged at 1st falls, also portaged the second falls drop - the level we had there was a boil line about 15 feet out : 0 My partner thought it would go, I thought we might die. We also portaged supermax. There were some tight places and a low side or two. Overall a good run.
raftus is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bailey, rafting