raft-to-kayak ratio for raft-support MF salmon - Mountain Buzz

Go Back   Mountain Buzz > Whitewater Boating > Whitewater Rafting

Old 04-23-2009   #1

raft-to-kayak ratio for raft-support MF salmon

Hey im planning a trip to MF salmon on a private permit, and its looking to be 15-18 people (including the people potentially rafting). How many rafts should we take for a comfortable 6-night trip? (kayakers will be in playboats; also have to carry enough alcohol) I have no experience with raft support.

Thanks,
Joe

meatsauce123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-23-2009   #2

at my house, Montana
Paddling Since: 2020
Quote:
Originally Posted by meatsauce123 View Post
Hey im planning a trip to MF salmon on a private permit, and its looking to be 15-18 people (including the people potentially rafting). How many rafts should we take for a comfortable 6-night trip? (kayakers will be in playboats; also have to carry enough alcohol) I have no experience with raft support.

Thanks,
Joe
In my raft, carrying gear for 2 people solo is easy, so I think if kayakers carried their personal drybag, and the rafts carried their tents, group gear was spread out among rafts, it would be easy to support 4 people besides myself on my 14' boat. Kayakers would not get big camp chairs in this scenario. If the kayakers weren't going to carry any of their personal gear, 2-3 people (in addition to rower) is more realistic. If you have bigger rafts, more people per boat is realistic. It really depends on how minimialist you are going to go. The more minimalist, the fewer rafters you need. The quantity (and type) of alcohol is important, it can be like a whole additional person if it's all beer.
Old 04-23-2009   #3

Glenwood Springs, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2002
Yeah, I like one raft supporting the captain and 2 kayakers/passengers as a good goal for the ratio.

"Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover." - Mark Twain
lmaciag is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-23-2009   #4

Denver, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2003
Sounds like you will need me to row some gear for all those kayakers...
jmalefyt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2009   #5

Boulder, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2004
Send a message via AIM to bolsito
Quote:

Thanks,
Joe

Make sure to bring at least 1 30 pack per person per day
bolsito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2009   #6
Dipshit with the most.

Bellevue, Idaho
Paddling Since: 1991
Quote:

Thanks,
Joe

That all depends on the time of year and how big the rafts are. Spring time I can run gear for three or four plus all my crap which is not a little, since I carry the kitchen and the bar.

Sounds like 4 to 5 to me. Or three or four if you really want to go commando and it's high water. Size of boat will dicate too.
carvedog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2009   #7

at my house, Montana
Paddling Since: 2020
Quote:
Originally Posted by carvedog View Post
That all depends on the time of year and how big the rafts are. Spring time I can run gear for three or four plus all my crap which is not a little, since I carry the kitchen and the bar.

Sounds like 4 to 5 to me. Or three or four if you really want to go commando and it's high water. Size of boat will dicate too.
What length boat do you run?
Old 04-24-2009   #8
Dipshit with the most.

Bellevue, Idaho
Paddling Since: 1991
Quote:
Originally Posted by lhowemt View Post
What length boat do you run?
Maravia Williwaw 2, It's listed as 15'9" in some specs. I measure it closer to 17. Maybe they measure contact point on the bottom.
I usually take 2-3 plus me, camera gear (large peli case and tripod).
Four boxes ( seat, huge front kitchen box, side boxes) and a large table, midsize cooler ( 105 to 120 ), 4 drybags and the repair, waterjug, personal rockets, pair of chairs, couple of fly rods, pin kit, trauma kit, dragbag and on and on.

And the kayakers wonder why it takes so long so strap all the carp in.
carvedog is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
kayaking, middle fork, raft, rafting, salmon