Raft Question - Mountain Buzz

Old 09-07-2010   #1

hamlin, West Virginia
Raft Question

Hey guys,

I have an NRS e140. There are bubbles that have formed under the material of the raft including the wear pads on the side tubes, the wear pads on the under side of tubes (where the bow and stern angle up), on the strips that cover the joining seams of the tube, and a couple on the floor. Most are on glued areas, but not all. When i say airbubbles, some are less then an inch around but stick up off the raft up to an inch. Almost like its a manufacturing defect (or like a blister when you burn your hand). Its not from inflating the raft as some of the materials the bubbles are on do not hold air (i.e, the wear pad on the side tube). The raft is still under warranty and was originally purchased by someone who did not know a lot about rafts straight from NRS. They said they thought it was suppose to be like this. Any ideas as to what might have caused this? I have not checked with NRS to check into warranty coverage on this. if you have any insight, that would be great. Just wanted to get a better idea.

adkins220 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-07-2010   #2

golden
Check with NRS before you get into it yourself. The bubles under the wear strips could be from water getting inbetween the layers. It is not a big deal but if NRS covers it, the winter is a good time to send it off. Sometimes they even reimburse you for local repairs due to the high shipping costs. Call them.
Old 09-07-2010   #3

Oregon City, Oregon
Paddling Since: 1972
Quote:
Originally Posted by adkins220 View Post
Any ideas as to what might have caused this?
I agree that it is probably some kind of manufacturing defect. The only other possibility would be that water somehow got into the air chambers and was left there for an extended period. This could cause the material to break down. Is there a mildew smell when you let air out of the raft?
The Mogur is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-07-2010   #4

thornton, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1969
Quote:
Originally Posted by adkins220 View Post
Hey guys,

I have an NRS e140. There are bubbles that have formed under the material of the raft including the wear pads on the side tubes, the wear pads on the under side of tubes (where the bow and stern angle up), on the strips that cover the joining seams of the tube, and a couple on the floor. Most are on glued areas, but not all. When i say airbubbles, some are less then an inch around but stick up off the raft up to an inch. Almost like its a manufacturing defect (or like a blister when you burn your hand). Its not from inflating the raft as some of the materials the bubbles are on do not hold air (i.e, the wear pad on the side tube). The raft is still under warranty and was originally purchased by someone who did not know a lot about rafts straight from NRS. They said they thought it was suppose to be like this. Any ideas as to what might have caused this? I have not checked with NRS to check into warranty coverage on this. if you have any insight, that would be great. Just wanted to get a better idea.
Ask the person you bought the boat from if they ever inflated the boat with the help of an automobile exhaust pipe or been exposed to it for a lengthy time.
raymo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2010   #5

Oregon City, Oregon
Paddling Since: 1972
Quote:
Originally Posted by raymo View Post
Ask the person you bought the boat from if they ever inflated the boat with the help of an automobile exhaust pipe or been exposed to it for a lengthy time.
Oh crap! That would destroy a raft as fast as a trip through a shredder! Is anyone really stupid enough to do that?
The Mogur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2010   #6

thornton, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1969
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Mogur View Post
Oh crap! That would destroy a raft as fast as a trip through a shredder! Is anyone really stupid enough to do that?
Not quite as fast as a shredded, it takes a little awhile and nothing a bucket of glue and patching material won't take care of. PS. Yes.
raymo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2010   #7

San Juan Islands, Washington
I have a few of those on my E140, it's never lost any air so I don't think it's a problem. They were there when I bought the boat several years ago and haven't gotten any worse. My boat is 16 years old so I expect a few problems but haven't had any.
tomrefried is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
rafting