Raft motor rental? - Mountain Buzz

Old 09-25-2017   #1

BV, CO
Paddling Since: 96
Raft motor rental?

Have a Cataract trip coming up and having a difficult time finding a motor to rent. Anybody have a motor or a lead?

Phil U. is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-27-2017   #2

BV, CO
Bump. Help a fellow river rat out?
Old 09-27-2017   #3

Salt Lake City, Utah
Paddling Since: 1997
Just go buy one from Cabelas for your trip and then return it.
Riverwild is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-28-2017   #4

Summit County, Colorado
Paddling Since: 92
You won't be able to rent just a motor. The raft will need to be registered once you have a motor, thats why you are having a hard time finding just a motor to rent. You will have more luck looking for a full rig with a motor to rent. There is a place in moab that rents rafts with motors. can't rembere their name. Atleast there used to be a place.
Quiggle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2017   #5

Missoula, Montana
Paddling Since: 1992
Not a beast, but it should push a couple rafts.
https://cosprings.craigslist.org/bpo...321079372.html
seantana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2017   #6

BV, CO
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quiggle View Post
You won't be able to rent just a motor. The raft will need to be registered once you have a motor, thats why you are having a hard time finding just a motor to rent. You will have more luck looking for a full rig with a motor to rent. There is a place in moab that rents rafts with motors. can't rembere their name. Atleast there used to be a place.
Yeah. The place in Moab will rent me an 18' raft with a motor for $1,900 for a week. No thanks. I can rent a 20 hp motor for $320 in Flagstaff from a Grand outfitter for the 8 River days but that's a bit far to drive. Probably gonna buy a used motor.
Old 09-28-2017   #7

Lakewood, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1993
I found a place in Denver that rents them but all they had was a 25hp or 50hp motor that would not only be overkill for a raft but also way heavy. I started a thread last year about this too, and ended up just buying a used 5hp 4stroke off one of the members here. It needs some work, so I'm not prepared to rent or loan it out....sorry.

The other complication with renting one is that a Marina or classic hardshell boat service isn't going to have a way to mount said motor to a raft.

My understanding of getting your boat licensed is that the boat itself is licensed not the motor. You do this by going to a Parks and Wildlife office and getting one. You will then have to either paint the registration letters on your boat or make a plaque with them and hang it off your frame (the prefered way IMHO). Rafts can be a bit hard since they don't have serial numbers that are recognizable by the Parks and Wildlife people so they may have to give you a new number or something.

The only stretch I've used a motor on was Desolation, and they couldn't give a crap. I didn't know about the registration the first time and they "looked the other way" and I was a dumbass and forgot my paperwork the second time and they did it again.

Since Cataract spits out onto Lake Powell, it may be a bigger deal if you get caught without the registration. Just so you know, there is current all the way to Hite the last I checked, so a motor isn't strictly needed for after the rapids. It will probably make for faster travel on the flatwater above the confluence and will certainly expedite getting out of the canyon if that is what you want, but it isn't strictly needed to run Cataract anymore.
Electric-Mayhem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2017   #8

Salt Lake City, Utah
I had the same issue. I just bought a used 5HP Honda. Do I need to register the boat now? WTF? Launching next week on Cataract.
Skyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2017   #9

Lakewood, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1993
Yep...to not get in trouble you need to register your boat. You could risk it and not do so but if a Ranger takes issue he could give you a fine. I can't say what they'll do on Cataract.

Not sure the process on getting that in Utah, but in Colorado it was pretty easy. Looks maybe a bit harder but not sure... Boats and Watercraft | Utah DMV

Its up to you... the price we pay for "the black oar".
Electric-Mayhem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2017   #10

Salt Lake City, Utah
I wonder if the fine is more than the registration. It may be worth it just to chance it if they can't take or impound your property.
Skyman is offline   Reply With Quote