Raft Mentor/Instruction needed - Mountain Buzz

Old 07-23-2015   #1

Littleton, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2015
Raft Mentor/Instruction needed

Hi all,

Im new to MB and have recently bought a 14' Aire with rowing frame and am looking for instruction to help me learn the ways of the water! I'd consider myself fairly intelligent but a total rookie to running rafts. I live in Littleton CO and need someone to show me the ropes. Im willing to stoke somebody that can. Drive, lunch, dinner, beers, DownRiver gift cert whatever...

Its just me and my girlfriend that would be coming along as I'd like her to learn as well.

If anybody out there knows of somebody cool & willing to help please let me know. So excited to be a part of this community and get out on the water. Ok enough for now, I'm going to go geek out on my rig, lol..

Scott

scottyt is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-23-2015   #2

Wheat Ridge, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2012
Right on, Scott! I know what that 'geek out on my new rig' feeling is like, and am super stoked for you.

I've been at this 3 years now, and am still humbly learning myself. We got the raft to fish with, and I find myself enjoying being on the oars as much as the fishing at this point.

There are folks on here with far more experience running whitewater, so if that's your interest then I'm sure someone will chime in. But if you're like me and fishing is also your passion, I'd be happy to get up with you two some time. We could meet with both boats and my wife and son could come along, or I could hop on with you guys and fish all day while your practice your rowing.

Seriously, welcome to this fantastic, lifelong love that we all share.

David

Sent from my Z970 using Mountain Buzz mobile app
dafewillis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2015   #3

Bismarck, North Dakota
There is so much I could say, but I've already been warned. Anyway lots of great people here and CO should be no problem making friends.
Advertisement

Old 07-23-2015   #4

Silverthorne, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2010
I can give you some pointers out on the water. I am planning on going up to the Upper Colorado a few times in the next few weeks when I get back from a wildfire up in Idaho. You can ride along on my boat with me, do some follow the leader, or both. I am very familiar with your situation and am always willing to go out on the river with new people. PM me and we can figure out a good time to meet up.

Sent from my iPhone using Mountain Buzz
MountainManPB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2015   #5

Thornton, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1980
Scott,
It is a very good idea to ask for some direct instruction on rafting and running rivers. I am a former commercial guide with many years experience and I'd be interested in running the river and helping you learn the craft. I have various days off this August and September. We could run the lower stretch of the Poudre before it gets too low or the upper Colorado or easier Arkansas river sections, all good training grounds. Send me a private message if still interested. Vern
VernanBarbarian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2015   #6

Bismarck, North Dakota
Quote:
Originally Posted by VernanBarbarian View Post
Scott,
It is a very good idea to ask for some direct instruction on rafting and running rivers. I am a former commercial guide with many years experience and I'd be interested in running the river and helping you learn the craft. I have various days off this August and September. We could run the lower stretch of the Poudre before it gets too low or the upper Colorado or easier Arkansas river sections, all good training grounds. Send me a private message if still interested. Vern
Don't pass on this opportunity, I'd jump all over this offer if I lived in that area.
Old 07-24-2015   #7
Skibum66

Salida, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1989
Raft Mentor/Instruction needed

I'm on the Arkansas all the time. Going to be at Rancho del Rio the 19-23.
I also run a 14' AIRE.

Rich
Skikbum66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2015   #8

Hayden, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2008
Floating Tomorrow 07/26/15

I will be floating tomorrow 07/26/15 on the Upper Colorado. Happy to have you bring your boat and follow along. This is the same area I learned to float and run oar rigs as a commercial guide. flows are at a good level to learn how to manage wave trains as well as read water. Do you have any experience rowing or rafting?
comjl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2015   #9

Littleton, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2015
All, Im truly humble by your alls gracious offers, I will PM each of you to try and connect. Again thanks for your kindest, this community is awesome!
scottyt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2015   #10

Buffalo, New York
Paddling Since: 2003
Nice offer from mountainman. I would take the offer to ride along, watch, listen, learn, and jump on his oars with direct instruction. Boat mechanics come quick for some, and take a lot of practice for others. Then go back out with them on your rig and with their support.

Congrats on the rig, have fun and be safe

Sent from my iPhone using Mountain Buzz
amv48 is offline   Reply With Quote