Raft Help w/ Pictures - Mountain Buzz

Old 01-20-2012   #1

Portland, Oregon
Paddling Since: 2004
Raft Help w/ Pictures

Hi,

New here. I'm mainly a fisherman and I float the Deschutes River in Oregon a lot, in a aluminum drift boat.

I'm looking at a getting a raft for smaller / rockier coastal streams.

I found this one and don't know if it is a good deal for 1K:
Raft 1 pictures by jjhuntfox - Photobucket

This one is a Legacy Standard Model 20. 12' x 5'5" I don't know the year but it is in nice shape. One frame is fairly heavy pipe, not aluminum, and the other is just galvanized pipe.

Thanks for any and all advice.

John

Hunt-man is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-20-2012   #2
over the horizon

Carbondale, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2003
Welcome to the buzz.

I don't know a thing about Legacy boats, but I appreciate your seller's effort on taking good photographs. I think you have found a good deal on the oars and frame alone. Looks like a a rig that would get instant street cred out there.

The 5 1/2 ft width will be a hoot on pushing the "smaller/rockier" vein, I can tell you that.
BmfnL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2012   #3

Portland, Oregon
I took the pics. I appreciate your thoughts. I was a little concerned about the frames, neither is aluminum.

It is a cool old boat in nice shape.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-21-2012   #4

Beaverton, Oregon
Paddling Since: 2005
Welcome to the buzz, dude.

I think you are looking at a pile of parts that is worth at least a grand. The oars look like they are Smoker's, the raft looks old but in good shape and the frame looks decent, whatever material it is.

A 12' boat over on the Deschutes would be a hoot, too!
brandob9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2012   #5

NorCal, California
Paddling Since: 91
I think it's a decent deal especially if you can talk him down a little. The boat itself is not higher end as you probably know but it looks like you could use the boat until it falls apart and replace it with a used Aire Puma, it looks like the frames would work for the Puma and who knows you might get a couple of trouble free years out of the original boat. Sounds like your on the right track anyway.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hunt-man View Post
Hi,

New here. I'm mainly a fisherman and I float the Deschutes River in Oregon a lot, in a aluminum drift boat.

I'm looking at a getting a raft for smaller / rockier coastal streams.

I found this one and don't know if it is a good deal for 1K:
Raft 1 pictures by jjhuntfox - Photobucket

This one is a Legacy Standard Model 20. 12' x 5'5" I don't know the year but it is in nice shape. One frame is fairly heavy pipe, not aluminum, and the other is just galvanized pipe.

Thanks for any and all advice.

John
Wavester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2012   #6

Golden, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1975
have you tested the boat/valves for leaks with soapy water? if it holds air for at least 24-36 without needing to be topped off then i'd say that's a pretty good deal for 1K with the silver frame,oars and being a self bailer.

i'd watch out for that yellow frame with the bolts poking out on the stern mount seat,ect. looks like a great way to tear some flesh. or just take the seats and throw the rest away.

and just also understand from the start that legacy is a certainly a bottom end hypalon boat with lower end,thinner materials and glue.
upshitscreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2012   #7

Portland, Oregon
So looks like I found a low end, old, raft with unknown life expectancy. I'm thinking I need to keep shopping?

We just inflated the raft, I didn't know to test the valves. Don't know if it holds air, he just blew it up with a shop vac. Well it is a closet classic, really good shape for an old raft.

I'm suspect about the silver frame, it is galvanized tubing and I saw a bit of rust in the ends.
Old 01-21-2012   #8

Bozeman, Montana
Paddling Since: 1999
Just buy it
caspermike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2012   #9

Tigard, Oregon
Paddling Since: 1995
Here is another one in the area for around the same price, Whitewater raft and gear. Check it out and see how it compares.

Pump the raft up to pressure, bring a bottle of simple green and a rag. Spray down the valves and around the valves, check the seams, patches and wear marks. Leaks should not be an immediate deal breaker, but it is nice to know what you are getting yourself into. On older boats you need to worry about rotten rubber. If you see/feel cracked or rough rubber, spray down the raft and you see leaks seeping through everywhere then move on. It can be fixed, but it is expensive.

Good luck
TriBri1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2012   #10

Portland, Oregon
Thanks for the local link. It isn't a self bailer and I want that.

I will use the simple green trip. That is a good one. On the yellow one I didn't see any rotten rubber and all the patches were still tight and not lifting / peeling at all.