Raft guide - Mountain Buzz

Old 10-16-2012   #1

Kansas City, Kansas
Paddling Since: 2010
Raft guide

How does one get hooked up with a raft guide position anybody have any info on this. I live in Kansas City and frequent Colorado to paddle white water.. I have the option to not work spring and summers with my work.. Just think this would be a great way to build my skills and make a little extra while I enjoy my summers in Colorado on the rivers..

Dirty q tip is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-16-2012   #2

Pinecliffe, Colorado
Paddling Since: 05
Choose what areas and rivers you would like to work and start applying. The best time to apply is after the new year but before mid Feb. Go the companies you choose web page and fill out the app. and apply.
Old 10-16-2012   #3

Eagle, Idaho
Paddling Since: '78
How early in the spring will you be available?

A lot of them start training in March/April...traveling to water, etc. Training can be pretty time consuming...most expect you to spend some time on the stick...not to mention the state training requirements (50 hours on the water I think), before you'll be taking customers down.

If you have the time, it's an awesome way to spend your summers!!! BV/Salida area has the most rafting companies. But there are A LOT of people with the same idea. And as a first year guide...you won't get as many trips as the seasoned peeps (i.e. you may need another job).
GoodTimes is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-16-2012   #4

Aurora, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2000
Check back here in the classified section this fall and winter. I think the company I work for is going to start training some guides. Some other companies also post here.

Other than that, get on websites all over and look for info. Keep in mind that first year guides don't make much money, by the time you pay for training, buy gear, and then not getting as many trips as the senior guides. I know a lot of rookie guides who have just broken even over the whole summer. If you can stick with in for a few years though, it can be great.
Good luck!
climbdenali is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012   #5

Kansas City, Kansas
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoodTimes
How early in the spring will you be available?

A lot of them start training in March/April...traveling to water, etc. Training can be pretty time consuming...most expect you to spend some time on the stick...not to mention the state training requirements (50 hours on the water I think), before you'll be taking customers down.

If you have the time, it's an awesome way to spend your summers!!! BV/Salida area has the most rafting companies. But there are A LOT of people with the same idea. And as a first year guide...you won't get as many trips as the seasoned peeps (i.e. you may need another job).
I could be available in march. Not really looking to really bank any cash just have a little coming in for beer money lol!!!
Old 10-16-2012   #6

Crested Butte, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2003
If you aren't worried about making much money the river is for you but my suggestion is to forgo being a guide and be a photo kayaker or safety kayaker, your skills as a boater will explode and you wont have to hang out in a boat with customers all day. The money is even less then a guide makes but still enough to buy beer if that is all you are after. The Arkansas River has a lot of companies and a lot of them use kayaker's as safety.

P.S All you need is a boat, gear, and a car to sleep in!!
RockyMt.Razorback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012   #7

thornton, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1969
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirty q tip View Post
How does one get hooked up with a raft guide position anybody have any info on this. I live in Kansas City and frequent Colorado to paddle white water.. I have the option to not work spring and summers with my work.. Just think this would be a great way to build my skills and make a little extra while I enjoy my summers in Colorado on the rivers..
When you get hooked up you are going to love it. Some of the best day's of my life. When I started it was 99% multi-day trips, so three square's a day( rib steaks, baked potatoes etc.) and a great place to sleep. Plus some pay in your pocket. Have fun!
raymo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012   #8

Salida, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1997
Not to go against what rockyrazor said, but I don't see too many companies hiring people solely as safety kayakers. However, it is a great thing to be able to do to get extra work and gain extra miles. It is the type of thing that you will want to inquire about as you are deciding which companies to apply for. You might also want to inquire about housing(camping), how experienced the rest of their staff is, days off requests, and how many rivers they might run. Most places in Colorado will start their training in May. Another way to have a leg up on the others is to have your First Aid/ CPR certs, and if at all possible a WFR, companies tend to look highly at that.
salsasean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012   #9

Buena Vista, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2005
Quote:
Originally Posted by salsasean View Post
Not to go against what rockyrazor said, but I don't see too many companies hiring people solely as safety kayakers. However, it is a great thing to be able to do to get extra work and gain extra miles. It is the type of thing that you will want to inquire about as you are deciding which companies to apply for. You might also want to inquire about housing(camping), how experienced the rest of their staff is, days off requests, and how many rivers they might run. Most places in Colorado will start their training in May. Another way to have a leg up on the others is to have your First Aid/ CPR certs, and if at all possible a WFR, companies tend to look highly at that.
Sean is giving you very good advice here. I would suggest Buena Vista or Ft. Collins for a first year guide. Lots of great companies to work for here.

I am sure you will get all kinds of responses here, but there is some good information you may want to read on these 2 threads also:

https://www.mountainbuzz.com/forums/f...ley-16083.html

https://www.mountainbuzz.com/forums/f...ing-42290.html
lmyers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012   #10

Kansas City, Kansas
Man! Thanks for the input guys. What is average pay for a guide?