Raft frame beyond straight line? - Mountain Buzz

Old 04-24-2013   #1

Yukon, Alabama
Raft frame beyond straight line?

Folks,

This is regarding a frame for an 18 foot ST Sotar urethane raft.

I know that the standard best practice is to limit the length of a raft frame to the straight line of the raft. In my case, I am considering extending the frame approximately 6 inches beyond the straight line onto the first section of the raft that does have a little rise (Section A). The concept includes a slight bend at the end of the frame ends to match the slight rise of the tubes so the vast majority of the loaded frame will rest on the straight line.

I would love to hear from anyone who has done or considered doing this. Many thanks for listening.

Yukon77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-25-2013   #2

Prattville, Alabama
Paddling Since: 2005
Why not just attach a trailer section fore or aft to get the length you need. Six inches doesn't seem like it would be worth the trouble though. Always think about keeping a frame or any other peice of equipment adaptable and versatile for future needs.
BamaRafter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013   #3

Wheat Ridge, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1995
If the frame isn't sitting flat on the straight tubes, it may wear particularly hard where it contacts the tube on the kick. It may also sag along the length. You'll also have very little room in the bow/stern for dunnage. My frame runs the full length of the straight tubes and I wish I had more room for drybags in each end.

-AH
Nothing in the world is more yielding and gentle than water. Yet it has no equal for conquering the resistant and tough. The flexible can overcome the unbending; the soft can overcome the hard. - Lao Tse
Andy H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-25-2013   #4

Redmond, Oregon
Paddling Since: 1973
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy H. View Post
If the frame isn't sitting flat on the straight tubes, it may wear particularly hard where it contacts the tube on the kick. ......
How far forward does your re-inforced patch for the frame rub go on your 18' SOTAR?

What is being suggested here is that with flexing of the bow into waves you will need to expect additional wear there over any other spot under the frame and will need to monitor that. Even with an upward bent frame at that spot.

= = = = = = =

Question that may be relevant.

Does anyone recommend the use of any material that can be placed under the frame to limit wear on the raft?
{In the old days we use to place inverted thinner carpet under frames. I think it worked as long as you changed it out and stuck with fresh mold.}

==========

Sounds like you're bucking to be the supply ship in the GC.
BilloutWest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013   #5

Tigard, Oregon
Paddling Since: 1995
Rather then bending up, you could put a S curve and bend the frame in so you are getting the length you want, but not sit in the tubes. I have also seem short U shaped bays attached to the crossbar in order to hold rocket boxes.
TriBri1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013   #6

Redmond, Oregon
Paddling Since: 1973
Quote:
Originally Posted by TriBri1 View Post
Rather then bending up, you could put a S curve and bend the frame in so you are getting the length you want, but not sit in the tubes. I have also seem short U shaped bays attached to the crossbar in order to hold rocket boxes.
On a two rail come off the inside rail maybe?
BilloutWest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2013   #7

Beaverton, Oregon
Paddling Since: 2005
The front bay of my frame flexes to ride the up. It doesn't carry a lot of weight there, though.
brandob9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2013   #8
BCJ

Grand Junction, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1978
I think Andy H has it right - - you're creating some complications there for not much gain. Six inches is six inches I guess. Best approach to whitewater boats is keep it simple, strong and versatile. (Hi Jack!)(Hi Andy!)
BCJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2013   #9

Yukon, Alabama
Thanks BCJ. Your advice is always good - I'll try and keep it simple. The solid floor will probably do the trick.
Yukon77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2013   #10
Sponsoring Vendors

Paddling Since: 1994
trailer frame, that way it flexes with the boat and you get a real extra bay, not 6 inches. If it did curve up it seems like boxes or whatever was in that bay would be on an angle and not ideal for passenger seating/ sleeping/whatever. I run a trailer in the back on grand/long trips that houses a row of rockets or an extra cooler as the trip needs.
zbaird is offline   Reply With Quote