Raft Crash Position - Mountain Buzz

Old 11-19-2013   #1

Bellingham, Washington
Paddling Since: 2004
Raft Crash Position

What is the proper landing position for a rafter when doing a bigger vertical drop like a large ledge or waterfall?

When I rafted Pilchuck Falls this weekend I scooted forward off the rear thwart into the center bay with my shins on the forward thwart. When vertical it would have looked like I was kneeling on the forward thwart. I did this to prevent my legs from sliding under the thwart, but on landing my weight slammed foward and it felt like I had just done the splits (which I am not flexible enough to do!).

This left me wondering whether I would have been better off doing it another way?

Kyle

Wiggins is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-19-2013   #2

Denver, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2002
I always just lean back when you start going vert. Keep your feet under you as ending up under a thwart is scary. My biggest concern is always bashing my face on my paddle, so I twist my upper body and hold the paddle down against the tube.
k2andcannoli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2013   #3

Bellingham, Washington
Paddling Since: 2004
Thanks. That sounds pretty much like what I was doing.

Kyle
Wiggins is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-19-2013   #4

at my house, Montana
Paddling Since: 2020
Hmmm, I think I saw a picture of someone doing that this weekend, but I can't remember whose FB page it was on.
Old 11-19-2013   #5

at my house, Montana
Paddling Since: 2020
You've seen Dan's videos surely? Have fun!

Old 11-19-2013   #6

Beaverton, Oregon
Paddling Since: 2005
Make sure you have contact with the thwart! Remember that old phrase that it isn't the fall the hurts, it's that sudden stop at end.

When Dan and Josh ran Spirit this year, Josh wasn't on the thwart. His body didn't have a chance to slow down at the raft's pace and his ankle was injured as a result.
brandob9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2013   #7

Denver, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2002
Those guys need to fire up a buncha first raft decent lines at great falls, potomac river, md/va.
k2andcannoli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2013   #8

Gardnerville, Nevada
Paddling Since: 00
Just saw this thread and wondered what/how people rowing (as opposed to paddling) a raft do?
I just finished a first season of getting worked rowing my new mini max. Generally found that dropping off the seat into the rowers footwell resulted in staying in the boat more often than getting pitched out. However the results were varied and wound up in the bow, the stern and over the side more than once. I'm thinking of getting rid of the seat altogether and just sitting on a thwart to row.... much softer anyway.
Old 12-06-2013   #9

Wheat Ridge, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1995
I'm usually face down against rubber, in the water, or awkwardly sliding over the tube clawing for anything that'll help avoid breaking the 2nd rule of rafting. I think Bri's seen me in that last position.
Nothing in the world is more yielding and gentle than water. Yet it has no equal for conquering the resistant and tough. The flexible can overcome the unbending; the soft can overcome the hard. - Lao Tse
Andy H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2013   #10
Plunk your magic twanger!

New Castle, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1999
I end up in the rower's well with my legs crumpled under me and the oar handles whirling wildly over my head. Any remaining passengers are looking at me with an undefined expectation.
Gremlin is offline   Reply With Quote