Raft Color Question - Dark Colors? - Mountain Buzz

Go Back   Mountain Buzz > Whitewater Boating > Whitewater Rafting

Old 01-08-2014   #1

TV, Idaho
Raft Color Question - Dark Colors?

Hello, and thanks for all the learning I've already done on this forum!

I'm looking at ordering a Sotar SL. I was thinking about getting some of the tube panels in black. How do these boats (urethane) do in the sun as far as getting hot? How much does the darkness of the color choice play in? I don't want to regret getting dark colors when nobody wants to touch the tubes for fear of getting scorched. Do dark colored tubes fluctuate more in pressure due to additional heat?

Thanks for any practical advice you can share. Much appreciated.

Matt

M3mphis is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-08-2014   #2
Sponsoring Vendors

Paddling Since: 1994
Black tubes get hotter than hells kitchen, just like any other black surface. FWIW I order all the rafting gear I can in white.
zbaird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2014   #3

Central Point, Oregon
I personally wouldn't do black. If you boat in a hot climate you will burn the shit out of any skin the touches it. I ordered a white Hyside and am supper happy. It doesn't expand in the heat of the day nearly as much as my darker boats and requires no topping off... of course its new which also helps. Have fun with your new toy and let me know if I can help with any of your outfitting.
Whitewater Worthy Equip is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-08-2014   #4
fat guy in a little boat

FtC / Rancho del Rio, Colorado
Paddling Since: 8AM
we have black hypalon frame wear patches on the commercial boats we use all summer. while the rest of the boat (red hypalon) does get pretty hot, the black gets super hot. like burn your ass hot.
black boats may look cool, but if you plan on using it in sunlight, i'd personally go for a different color. my yellow hyside stays nice and cool in the sun

All I need are some tasty waves, a cool buzz, and I'm fine.
- Spicoli
bigben is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2014   #5

Westminster, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1999
I've got a teal maravia. I can't touch the tubes at mid-day without wetting them down first. Black would be awesome if you're boating in the PacNW in the winter.
asleep.at.the.oars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2014   #6

TV, Idaho
Thank you everyone. Just as I suspected.

Quote:
Originally Posted by asleep.at.the.oars View Post
I've got a teal maravia. I can't touch the tubes at mid-day without wetting them down first. Black would be awesome if you're boating in the PacNW in the winter.
We do some winter steelheading. It would be a nice place to dry some gloves in the sun etc, but this boat will also be used in 100 degree weather. Its a shame that I like the look of the darker colors better. I guess I'll have to weigh my vanity against my practicality.
Old 01-09-2014   #7

TV, Idaho
Quote:
Originally Posted by zbaird View Post
Black tubes get hotter than hells kitchen, just like any other black surface. FWIW I order all the rafting gear I can in white.
Do you ever get an annoying glare off a white boat? The Sotars are so glossy, that they glare a bit anyway, I guess.
Old 01-09-2014   #8
Jared

Dundee, Oregon
Paddling Since: 1989
I have a yellow Sotar, and I don't have any glare issues. I doubt you would with white, either. I like the Hyside white color, but it looks like it could stain pretty easy. I could be wrong, I like the Hyside material. Time will tell, I have a buddy with a white Mini Me that is only 6 months old.
Learch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2014   #9

Colo Springs, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1980
I remember being at our first camp, Soap Creek, in Grand Canyon about ten years ago, with a guy who had a dark green boat. I think it was a Maravia boat.

In the morning his boat was VERY soft, so I offered him my pump. He said, "Nah, I'll just wait for the sun." He was right. It tightened up real well and I remember was real hot in the sun. His passenger was always tossing buckets of water on it.
David L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2014   #10

The white is indeed bright but I've always used white paco pads so nothing new.
oarboatman is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ark