Boulder, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2000
Raft and Kayak Carnage Equivalents

Here is a potential scale:

Raft to Kayak
Paddling = Paddling
"Get Down"
= Low Brace
(people in raft hunker down, kayak avoids tipping over)
Highside = High Brace
(in both cases you stay with your craft without tipping over)
Swim = Roll
(you get wet, but it isn't a yard sale, recovery is sometimes easy)
Sole Survivor = Window Shading
(Only one person is still in raft, the rest usually swim after a near flip or a prolonged surf, almost a dump truck, kinda like getting worked in a kayak)
Dump Truck = Involuntarily getting ripped out of your kayak
(This one is a bit weak, suggestions?)
Flip = Wet Exit
(The paddler(s) are separated from craft, may have to get gear to shore to re-launch)
Dry Flip = Loop or other kayak aerial
(The guide jumps/crawls over the edge of the boat mid flip, landing on the bottom of the boat and staying dry, while everyone else swims, it is a kind of dump truck, but the guide deserves respect for cat like reflexes, the kayaker deserves props for the loop or other aerial maneuver)

Suggestions, additions and alterations welcome.

raftus is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-27-2008   #2

Summit, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1996
Send a message via AIM to COUNT
I feel that a highside is worth more than a brace (the equivalent of a roll, in my opinion). Don't think you can call a dry flip the same as a trick unless you're doing them on purpose (plus you're then floating down the river with essentially no control over your craft, right?). In the context of playing for ice-cream, a dump-truck is at least as bad as a swim because you have more people in the river=more hazardous situations to be gettin' on quick. Same goes for SoleSurvivor and DryFlip. Ultimately (someone will correct me if I'm wrong) the purpose of the ice-cream game is to encourage everyone to be on top of their game and decrease the odds of a dangerous scenario. That's why you get points for being upside-down and automatically owe for being in the drink.

My very biased .02
Old 02-27-2008   #3
Kjirsten

Durango, Colorado
Paddling Since: 05
I'm wavering on the highside equals high brace or roll- both arguments are valid. But a dry flip is definitely equal to a loop in that they can both be an accidental/ninja maneuver resulting in less carnage or they can be tricks. And as long as you hold onto your paddle, it can be guided upside down. Losing your paddle in a loop would also cause a lack of control. In a commercial sense at least, Sole Survivor (what we call a Bus Stop in this corner of CO) actually wins points and adult beverages for letting everyone off but the Driver. If you get points for being upside down, you get points for a Dry Flip or Sole Survivor because while not in full control, you have a better chance for recovery than a Swim, Wet Exit, or full on Flip.

My facetious .02- stokin' the fire.
Quote:
Originally Posted by COUNT View Post
I feel that a highside is worth more than a brace (the equivalent of a roll, in my opinion). Don't think you can call a dry flip the same as a trick unless you're doing them on purpose (plus you're then floating down the river with essentially no control over your craft, right?). In the context of playing for ice-cream, a dump-truck is at least as bad as a swim because you have more people in the river=more hazardous situations to be gettin' on quick. Same goes for SoleSurvivor and DryFlip. Ultimately (someone will correct me if I'm wrong) the purpose of the ice-cream game is to encourage everyone to be on top of their game and decrease the odds of a dangerous scenario. That's why you get points for being upside-down and automatically owe for being in the drink.

My very biased .02
TakemetotheRiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-27-2008   #4

Buena Vista, Colorado
Paddling Since: 93
Sole Survivor = Window Shading
(Only one person is still in raft, the rest usually swim after a near flip or a prolonged surf, almost a dump truck, kinda like getting worked in a kayak)

Not the same by any means. Window Shading, also known as Washing Machine is when you are stuck in a hole and go through both the rinse and spin cycle. A lot of times ends in a swim unless one is in a squirt boat where one just opens up and lets the mystery move release him from the hole's grip. I pulled this move on the moon pie hole on Pine Creek in my 28 gal Jib. The bigger boats were being completely trashed in the hole, I just disappeared from sight and rocketed up 30 yards down stream! Worth bonus points if you pop back up in the middle of your group, still looking back at the hole wondering if you are still in there!
Snowhere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2008   #5

Boulder, Colorado
I agree that sole survivor dosen't always equal window shade. But I have been I a raft before where we got pummeled and surfed for a couple of minutes. Usually this means most of the crew swims but someone makes the highsides and paddles out. That is how it is like getting window shaded. But it is far from a perfect or even direct comparison. I would love to hear your idea on a better equivalent.
Old 02-28-2008   #6
no tengo

Baytopia, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1876
you forgot the easy one: surf = surf
mania is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2008   #7
Kjirsten

Durango, Colorado
Paddling Since: 05
And where does the "Exit Loop" posted by BrianK fit in? Failed backflip resulting in a bloody nose and a belly flop?
Quote:
Originally Posted by mania View Post
you forgot the easy one: surf = surf
TakemetotheRiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2008   #8

Snowmass, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1983
Quote:
Originally Posted by TakemetotheRiver View Post
And where does the "Exit Loop" posted by BrianK fit in? Failed backflip resulting in a bloody nose and a belly flop?
Guide ejection = Exit Loop

Especially if you do it on purpose and bust your face on the cooler or some other hard object.
Old 02-28-2008   #9

[quote] Window Shading, also known as Washing Machine is when you are stuck in a hole and go through both the rinse and spin cycle. A lot of times ends in a swim unless one is in a squirt boat where one just opens up and lets the mystery move release him from the hole's grip. [quote/]

I'd disagree with this. Two very different experiences.

I'd define the window shade as mostly a freestyle term. When you are side-surfing, flip, and roll up so fast that you immediately flip again. Rolling sideways over and over basically, but you almost always end in a controlled side-surf (as long as you roll more slowly). Rarely do you swim because you get window shaded.

Washing Machine and Maytagged and Recirculated (Recirced) are all the same beating that you talk about, and to me they are terms used only usually when talking about already being seperated from your craft. These are the few moments in kayaking that many people quit running class V after experiencing them. The places I think of are high water Cauldron, high water Pine Tree, Double Trouble, Pine Creek and Toilet Bowl.

If you are still in your boat then you are just getting Worked, Throttled, Surfed or Chundered.

Could just be my freestyle background, but to me a Mystery Move is a controlled move on an eddyline or in a hole (yea, squirtboating). Plugging a hole is when you throw your feet and head down and sub through the foam pile.

High Brace is usually bad (a low brace isn't better, just a forward stroke). A High Side is usually good. Not sure they are equal...

Interesting subject. Kayaking terminology is definitely growing and constantly changing. Lot's of definitions.
Old 02-28-2008   #10

Boulder, Colorado
What do you call it when a kayak goes straight into a hole then gets bounced back up vertically before going back into the hole and getting worked?

I haven't really seen it in Colorado, not enough water, but on bigger rivers it is quite the sight.

Tags
carnage, kayaking, rafting