Questions about hiking into phantom ranch - Mountain Buzz

Old 11-21-2016   #1

Questions about hiking into phantom ranch

Alright, guys we are meeting a river trip at phantom ranch. We got some questions ...
Where's the best place to stay the night before?
If phantom ranch is full (the lodge ) has anybody just camped up top and hiked down and met your trip is this unreasonable?
Anybody stayed in tusayan and hiked in? We are meeting them on the 5 of January.
Anyway you sagacious buzzards lend me thine opinions....

Sent from my iPhone using Mountain Buzz

mrbaum is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-22-2016   #2

Boise, Idaho
Paddling Since: 1979
There's a nice campground at Phantom Ranch that isn't busy that time of year. I think you need to get a reservation for that.
Plenty of hotel options on the South Rim.

briandburns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2016   #3

Westminster, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1980
As mentioned above, you have choices. Mather Campground on the rim, reservations needed, Ten-X Campground I believe is closed. Tusayan is expensive. Maswik has better prices during the winter. The cabins and dorms at Phantom Ranch book
a year in advance, Bright Angel Campground at Phantom takes reservations. Best to
plan for snow on the rim and for the first couple of miles, take crampons, Babbitt's (Village Market Place) sells them. Monday, November 28, Xanterra.com is having a
discount on some national park lodgings. PM me if you need other info.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-22-2016   #4

Fort Fun, Colorado
Paddling Since: 94
2tomcat2 pretty much covered it. Top can be icy so plan on taking in-step crampons. If you forgot them, aim for the mule shit, it provides traction.

trevko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2016   #5

GJ, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2011
Campground @ Phantom does require reservations, but they're easy to get for that time of year -- assuming you don't wait until the night before. And even then I've never seen it full.
Old 11-25-2016   #6

Eugene, Oregon
Paddling Since: 1996
Make sure you plan your time right. Hiking in from Angels down to Phantom could take 4+ hours in January, especially if you're packing gear. It's steep at the top and steep at the bottom. Sounds like fun.
Soup76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2016   #7

Flagstaff, Arizona
Paddling Since: 1998
Stay in a hotel on the rim, or tuseyan, start hiking at daybreak. Crampons are a great idea, and likely needed. Do you have a dry suit to wear on the river??? I hope so! Minimize the gear on your back when hiking. Send your stuff ahead with your boatman, good luck.

Flag
Flagstaff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2016   #8

Buena Vista, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2005
I did the hike in last year in February. There was a little snow at the top but it didn't go very far down into the canyon. At a brisk pace I made it to Phantom from South Kaibab in an hour and a half. I would give myself 3 hours at a leisurely pace. I would also suggest descending N. Kaibab over Bright Angel.

After Thanksgiving lodging in Tusayan goes down significantly in cost. I stayed at the Holiday Inn for around $75.
lmyers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2016   #9

Westminster, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1980
North Rim would still be closed in January, except by skiing or snowshoeing into the N. Kaibab trailhead....perhaps South Kaibab?
Old 11-28-2016   #10

Buena Vista, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2005
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2tomcat2 View Post
North Rim would still be closed in January, except by skiing or snowshoeing into the N. Kaibab trailhead....perhaps South Kaibab?
Correct. I wrote South Kaibab the first time and was in a hurry. My bad.
lmyers is offline   Reply With Quote