PRO Frame Dimension Question. . . - Mountain Buzz

Old 03-03-2017   #1

Grants Pass, Oregon
Paddling Since: 1986
PRO Frame Dimension Question. . .

Having run the GC a few times now using the "PRO" frame setup, I'm looking to build myself a similar setup. The PRO frame fits me really well and I want to make sure to maintain the distance between the cooler (rower's seat) and rear cross-member of the front bay.

Anyone know the distance between the tubing that makes up the rower's footwell on a PRO frame?

Thanks in advance.

- Sheik

jaleel_da_sheik is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-03-2017   #2

Aurora, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2000
Email from Ben Seul at PRO from about 3 years ago when I ordered mine:

Hatch mains are 84” wide(beam of the raft) and 74” long(bow to stern)and we ask 1090.00$. A hatch rear frame(trailer) is 84” wide and 24” long at 505.00$. A floorboard would be 50” wide by 30” long at 275.00$. Side boxes are built at 25” long by 17” wide by 15” high(same as 3 20mm rockets next to each other) at 299.00$ apiece. The floor is suspended with cam straps allowing you to adjust the height of the boxes. They have to be at least high enough for the lid to open without interference from the tube. Side decks are built the length of the frame and are 11.375” wide with cutouts in the corners and at the oarstands.

The cooler bay is adjustable, in case you ever switch coolers, which in turn would change the footwell length. I'm sure he'll build it welded if you prefer that, but if you need a new cooler in 10 years and nobody makes one that dimension, you're pretty stuck.
climbdenali is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2017   #3

Aurora, Colorado
Sorry, I re-read what I pasted in, and it doesn't answer the question. This from the same email string should:

our footwell is 28” front to back so the floorboard sits 1” under the pipe on either side. We try and maximize this space so as to reduce any gaps. You are correct on the frame width in proportion to the beam. I usually build frames 12” less than the beam of the raft, so in your case a more accurate width would be at 80”. This would go for the trailer as well. I see no reason to lessen the width of the side decking, accounting for the side decks and the pipe you are left with 51” width in the hatches and those are built to 19.625” front to back.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-03-2017   #4

Grants Pass, Oregon
Paddling Since: 1986
Just the sort of info I was after. Thanks!

- Sheik
jaleel_da_sheik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2017   #5

Aurora, Colorado
FWIW, I thought I could have it built locally cheaper, but it's really a non-starter unless you have the skills yourself, or a special friend who can weld aluminum. The materials alone were close to the cost PRO quoted me.

For me, saving $200 on $2500 worth of frames wasn't worth having to walk a fabricator through every detail and possibly getting something different than what I wanted. In the end, I'm very happy with my frames. The worst part was having to drive to Flagstaff to pick them up. (Which isn't a bad thing at all, really!)
Old 03-04-2017   #6

at my house, Montana
Paddling Since: 2020
Quote:
Originally Posted by climbdenali View Post
FWIW, I thought I could have it built locally cheaper, but it's really a non-starter unless you have the skills yourself, or a special friend who can weld aluminum. The materials alone were close to the cost PRO quoted me.

For me, saving $200 on $2500 worth of frames wasn't worth having to walk a fabricator through every detail and possibly getting something different than what I wanted. In the end, I'm very happy with my frames. The worst part was having to drive to Flagstaff to pick them up. (Which isn't a bad thing at all, really!)
Nrs lowpros and Speedrail fittings make diying it very easy, and cheaper.
Old 03-04-2017   #7

Great Falls, Montana
Paddling Since: .3
I'm confused. Are we talking Pacific River Outfitters PRO or some other PRO?
ob1coby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2017   #8

Aurora, Colorado
I was talking about PRO based in Flagstaff. Am I talking about the wrong one?

Lopro and speedrail fittings are easy. They definitely add up, though. I'm not a frame building expert, but I feel like the NRS tubing that the lopros fit is smaller, so not as strong. I place a pretty high value on streamlined frames, though, so I like welded joints much more than fittings. Maybe too much.

When I was looking into building my own, or hiring a welder to do it, the diamond plate sides and the hatch cover raw materials are pretty spendy, and unless you want to do some plywood or HDPE sides, you still need to hire a welder.

My other problem with the fittings is that they do move around sometimes, and things get out of whack. My first frame was breakdown, in case I ever needed to put it in a plane or whatever. In the 10 years I had that frame, the only time it ever came apart was when a friend decided to completely dismantle it when he borrowed it one time. PITA to put it back together.

Anyway, there are upsides to the fittings, but I prefer all welded joints, to the extent possible. Also, I knew I would get exactly what I wanted if PRO built it for me.
Old 03-04-2017   #9

at my house, Montana
Paddling Since: 2020
Good question about which PRO CD is responding to.

The nrs pipe is smaller but I believe also thicker, so the strength difference is minor. But yes the decking gets tough if you want diamond plate, for a diyer. I have never had a single lopro or Speedrail fitting move on our raft frame, with the exception of keeping an eye on the dre towers (speedrail). However this is just on a 14' boat.
Old 03-04-2017   #10

Great Falls, Montana
Paddling Since: .3
Earlier I searched for PRO raft frames in AZ and got nothing but James, but after the recent replies I did a search on PRO Tucson and I found them. I'm sure that is the PRO that the Sheik is talking about since it more closely matches the GC stigma. I'm pretty impressed with their operation. Their rates seem pretty good too, If I were running the full 21 day trip I'd seriously consider a rental package.

Sheik, If I were you the first thing I would do is call PRO and ask them if they will sell you one of their used frames. I'm sure they sell them at some point, and you might get a smokin deal, or, it doesn't look like they are frame builders but they may price you a new one from whom ever builds them. (they look like DRE but maybe they're building them) If you are near them I doubt they would mind you getting some measurements otherwise it looks like CD spent a lot of time getting you some great measurements.
ob1coby is offline   Reply With Quote