Prime rib in a DO? - Page 5 - Mountain Buzz

Old 01-17-2020   #41

Pilar, NM, New Mexico
Paddling Since: 1963
Anyone tried just using aluminum foil? Sear 10 minutes (both sides) over just-ready coals on grille. Remove some coals and slow cook (turning) until meat thermometer hits 140. Works well on pork tenderloins, and I'm sure a small prime rib could be made to work. Gotta have a feel for the heat though.

Uncle Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 4 Weeks Ago   #42

Smoked

We smoked a prime to rare, froze and wrapped it. We used the pans of Oju to heat up the sliced up rib, easy and was great!
dport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 Weeks Ago   #43

thornton, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1969
The prime rib recipes sound tasty. The way I roast prime rib, is to take rock salt and put down about half an inch of rock salt on the bottom of a duch oven, place roast on top of the salt, than cover roast, sides and top of roast in rock salt. Cover and cook with as many coals as you can get on the top, bottom and sides. Roast for 45 min to 60 minutes. Than remove the roast from the duch oven and throw it in the trash, cut up the DO and serve with bake potatoes and sweet corn on the cob, or keep the prime roast and let it rest for about 20 minutes. It comes out rare, but you can take the slices and put them on the grill and cook to your preference, medium rare, medium or well done. If you over cook a prime rib you can't uncook it to make it rare. At home everyone likes it cook to medium to medium rare, they drive me nuts cause I like mine rare but I get out voted.
raymo is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 3 Weeks Ago   #44

We done blackened prime rib roast for 16 , four , four pound roasts in a Dutch oven at least 8 times on the grand and yampa. Veggies in the second DO with pie cooking on the top DO. To cap off the meal, moist, steamed towelettes are provided for proper hand and face freshening. Have a good meat thermometer and you can’t go wrong. Also expect people begging to do the dishes out of their complete and utter gratefulness for such a fine meal.
mrkyak is offline   Reply With Quote