Prime rib in a DO? - Page 2 - Mountain Buzz

Go Back   Mountain Buzz > Whitewater Boating > Whitewater Rafting

Old 01-10-2020   #11

Durango, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2012
Wow, I've found a list of people to invite on the plentiful permits I'm going to score this year.

Fly By Night is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-10-2020   #12

Eagle, Colorado
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1FK4...ew?usp=sharing

I cook a fantastic Rib Roast at home and I don't see why it couldn't be duplicated in a DO. First of all I must confess I am a low heat then high heat guy. My roast starts like this:

1. Trim the bones from the roast and then retie on with butchers twine. No sense loosing all that flavor but make serving a lot easier!

2. Rub liberally with Olive Oil, the entire roast.

3. Coat generously with Kosher Salt and pepper.

4. Place in pan (or DO) elevated off of the bottom.

5. Slowly roast between 180 and 220 degrees F until the internal temp reaches 125-128.

6. Remove from oven, cover and raise temp to 450 f..... This maybe the difficult part as you would physically have to remove the meat from the DO.... Or maybe it gets a good fire sear.

7. Once at 450 F place meat back in over for 15 minutes.... pull out and let stand.... make your Au Ju .....

8. Meat should land at 130-135 and be very tasty!
Nubie Jon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2020   #13

Loveland, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1990
Personally, I wouldn't use a Dutch Oven. I want the meat to be accessible so I can closely monitor the internal temperature. I use a remote digital thermometer. I place the thermo-couple into the center of the roast and plug it into the read out, thus allowing me to watch the temperature throughout the entire cooking process. That said, I see no reason you couldn't cook it on a grill or Asado cross over an open fire like the Gauchos do in Argentina. You'd just need to have a supply of good wood (not pine) and a sense of adventure. (and patience)

I am planning to build an Asado Cross as my project in my first welding class. Not sure how I would take it on the river but it will be fun to play with at home. Especially if I can convince my wife to let me do a whole lamb.
John_in_Loveland is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-10-2020   #14

Loveland, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1990
Quote:
Originally Posted by MT4Runner View Post
Or precook with a sous vide, reheat in a 120 bath in camp, then sear/serve?

This is about as fool-proof as it gets.
John_in_Loveland is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2020   #15

Golden, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1974
Many times I've cooked pork tenderloins in a DO and made certain to have enough left over to dice up the next morning to make a big pot of SOS(sh*t on a shingle or chipped pork on toast if you weren't in the army).

It is really easy in that once the DO is cooled down put all the left overs still in the DO in a cooler if you have room. Next morning while you are dicing up the tenderloin start the gravey with water that breaks loose meat and things stuck to the bottom of the DO.

Many people have never had SOS or never had it on the river hence it gets chowed down pretty fast.
GeoRon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2020   #16

Calgary, Alberta
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fly By Night View Post
Wow, I've found a list of people to invite on the plentiful permits I'm going to score this year.
Haha... this is a great thought that I will also consider if I win a permit this year!
cupido76 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2020   #17
Sponsoring Vendors

Paddling Since: 1994
Quote:
Originally Posted by okieboater View Post
unfortunately for me, Sous Vide is above my river cooking skill set.

I have read about Sous Vide and it sounds like a good deal. But, as mentioned,
Sous Vide is something I need to leave to those with more cook skills than I have.

On the other hand, this thread is one that I have a lot of interest in following.

Buzzards have a lot of river skills to share and this will be a tasty addition to my recipe file.

Thats one of the beauties of sous vide. Its hard to fuck up. Sous vide, vac seal and into the fridge then cooler. Sear on the river. Perfect.
zbaird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2020   #18

Jenks, Oklahoma
Maybe I need to do a duckduckgo search on sous vide and do some reading in this off the river time.

dave
okieboater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2020   #19

thornton, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1969
Ok, I'm game what is sous vide?
raymo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2020   #20

Defiance, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2000
boiling your meat in a bag
noahfecks is online now   Reply With Quote