Pre-Season Lodore? - Mountain Buzz

Old 02-09-2018   #1

Basalt, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1993
Pre-Season Lodore?

So I just noticed that Ladore is running about 2,900cfs right now. According to information from the Flaming Gorge damn they will continue to release about 2,800cfs through the end of the month. Anybody know about permit sign ups or anything before you can sign up through recreation.gov on March 1st? Since there is no snow to enjoy here info CO, we are thinking about doing a trip around the 26th or so.

danthefloatinman is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-10-2018   #2

Lakewood, Colorado
I imagine the only way to get a permit before the lottery happens is to call the river office.

I'd totally be down to join you, but I suspect that there might a risk of ice bridges and other cold weather based obstacles. It has been a mild winter and other canyon runs are open like Westwater (did it last week...no ice) but Lodore is significantly higher elevation and tends to be colder.

If someone could manage to get an "all clear" about ice...I'd certainly be interested in joining you.
Electric-Mayhem is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2018   #3

montrose, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1999
The Green at jensen has been reaching 6 C for the last few weeks and I talked to a guy who floated A and B sections in a drift boat recently.

While I can't say for sure what will happen between now and then, I bet you will be fine.
mikepart is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-10-2018   #4

Lakewood, Colorado
Thats true... just looked at the Greendale gauge and its similar. I think there is still a chance of ice build up in some of the rapids but its probably fine.

A few of us were thinking about getting out this week and Lodore wasn't on the list but I think I just added it.
Old 02-10-2018   #5

Denver, Colorado
Wishin my new hyside was here already, would love to join for a winter trip!

It's supposed to ship out of Long Beach 2/15 and may be a few days early, then to build up the frame and get it set up and I'll be ready to roll!
Enjoy!
jonseim is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2018   #6

Basalt, Colorado
I plan on contact the ranger office on Monday to see if they have any info on ice, etc. I've done Ladore a number of times in Mid March and its cold, so even if there is no ice problems it will be quite cold. Some friends and I are thinking the 26th-1st, lets get some people together!
danthefloatinman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2018   #7

Lakewood, Colorado
Did you ever get in touch with the River Office? Looks like we might be in for some weather related complications but I'm still willing to go if its mostly clear of ice.
Old 02-15-2018   #8

Salt Lake City, Utah
This may be pertinent for anyone looking to do a pre-season trip. Flows will decrease to 1750 cfs in early March until spring runoff. From the BoR:

Releases are currently 2,800 cfs according to the linked schedule and expected to remain at this level through February. Current estimates are for releases to decrease to 1,750 cfs beginning in March through the beginning of spring runoff, and will increase or decrease depending on observed hydrology to meet the May 1 elevation target of 6,027 feet.
bcpnick is offline   Reply With Quote