Plan A, The Grand. Plan B....????? - Mountain Buzz
 



Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 10-05-2013   #1
 
Paddling Since: 1993
Join Date: Apr 2004
Posts: 116
Plan A, The Grand. Plan B....?????

Hi all,
Instead of fuming about this closure, I thought I might put my energy toward something I might actually have control of. Some sort of a contingency plan.
Our launch date is the 22nd. While I will continue to monitor the situation at Lee's I am not going to hold my breath. So......
I have three weeks off. I would like to do some boating. I live In Driggs Id. I am fully equipped with all the gear we could need. I am willing to drive.

Suggestions?
Where would go? What would you do?
Thanks friends.
Christo

h2obro is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 10-05-2013   #2
L Knapp
 
Portland, Oregon
Paddling Since: 2002
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 27
I don't remember what the permit system for Cataract Canyon is, but we did that as a shakedown for the Grand once upon a time, it it was pretty glorious.
Rustie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2013   #3
 
cedar city, Utah
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 2,261
I hope the situation is resolved before your trip. If not:

Plan B for me would be a float of the longest possible length of the Salmon this time of year. Assuming it self-registration right now outside of the control season???? Corn Creek or primitive ramp above down to Snake.

Plan C You could float for a week on the Colorado from near Cisco to Potash. Defininitely not exciting rapids wise. Road side.

Plan D: Upper Colorado......maybe sometime around GlenWood.

Plan E: Green River float through Uintah Valley. Not very exciting, though it has lots of potential to explore archaeology. End at Sand Wash, assuming they didn't close takeout, which I can't imagine is possible or was done.

Plan F: Day Float sections of the lower Provo. Bony but can be great fly fishing. Launches are primitive.

Plan G: Throw on a motor and spend a week slowly moving your raft down Lake Powell. Great explorations but miserable for a raft. Glassy this time of year. No services, as all marinas are closed. Section from Dirty Devil "ramp" to Halls Crossing (which is open) has amazing slot canyons. I assume the resource is theoretically open as it was never required to have a permit in the first place. Could be closed since it is part of NPS system though....not exactly how they are handling their recreation areas like Powell. If you like sea kayaking the lake is brilliant this time of year.

Utah is difficult beyond that right now. Rivers are either drying up or permits are inaccessible if not already acquired.
restrac2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 10-05-2013   #4
 
cedar city, Utah
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 2,261
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rustie View Post
I don't remember what the permit system for Cataract Canyon is, but we did that as a shakedown for the Grand once upon a time, it it was pretty glorious.
Permit required through NPS but no quota. I imagine that stretch is "closed" since it runs through the national park.
restrac2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2013   #5
 
Salida, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1997
Join Date: Apr 2005
Posts: 179
Christo,
Hope you get on the grand, if not head south. I will be in Guatemala boating with Roberto for the next month. Cataract sounds like a good second choice, ruby/horse/westwater?
salsasean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2013   #6
 
Salida, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1997
Join Date: Apr 2005
Posts: 179
oh yeah, what about a rogue river trip. only 5 days but beautiful.
salsasean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2013   #7
 
Golden, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1999
Join Date: Jul 2004
Posts: 323
Northern california coastal rivers might be an option, especially if they start getting their rainy season going. The Klamath should be floatable for a multiday, and if it rains sections on the Smith, Trinity, Eel, Illinois etc could come in. No permits that I know of.
benpetri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2013   #8
 
Littleton, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2009
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 42
Cataract Canyon

Just ran Cataract from last Saturday to Thursday. They had temporary barracades setup at the takeout (Dirty Devil). As well, we were at Spanish Bottom on Tuesday. As the Rangers were leaving to go up river they said technically they should evacuate us off of the river, but also said it was not practical. So I imagine the Potash put in is barricaded as well.
hollek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2013   #9
no tengo
 
mania's Avatar
 
Baytopia, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1876
Join Date: Oct 2003
Posts: 1,858
Quote:
Originally Posted by hollek View Post
As the Rangers were leaving to go up river they said technically they should evacuate us off of the river, but also said it was not practical.
Okay boys bring in the heavy lifting choppers we gotta get these guys out of here to save some money. Still sounds odd as you launched before the shutdown. Looks like a bad plan B right now.
mania is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2013   #10
 
Hood River, Oregon
Paddling Since: 2163
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 295
Green river to hite? Lots of flat but super scenic. Probably wouldn't run into anyone
__________________
http://www.adventurecloud.com/
David Spiegel is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Topic Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
GCPBA Newswire - RRFW Grand Canyon Mgt. Plan Lawsuit News superpuma Whitewater Kayaking 0 07-21-2009 12:29 PM
Grand Canyon River Management Plan Released riojedi Whitewater Kayaking 6 11-11-2005 03:16 PM
Grand Canyon Management Plan Meeting - MONDAY! Caspian Whitewater Kayaking 6 11-09-2004 11:06 PM
Colorado river management plan meeting (grand canyon) rafterbrooks Whitewater Kayaking 1 11-06-2004 12:36 PM
Grand Canyon's Draft management plan is out liziis Whitewater Kayaking 9 10-16-2004 02:46 PM

Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.3

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 06:55 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2020 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.