Placing a Drybox - Mountain Buzz

Old 06-12-2016   #1

Vancouver, British Columbia
Paddling Since: 2015
Placing a Drybox

Hi everyone,

I started rafting last year and upgraded this year to a Steelheader 2 frame with JPW 14ft 19" tubes. I am trying to figure out where to place a dry box to allow overnight trips with my teenage son. This will give me enough room for food, small cooking gear and small cooler in the box. I like the idea of a bear proof box.

I have a bay behind my seat which fits a 33.5"x15" x12" box. I am looking to get a proper aluminum box, but I am concerned that I end up with too much weight in the rear end. All the other camping gear would around,under the front seat.

Any thoughts on the weight distribution as this is not a cheap option to get a custom box made up.

Andreas

[/URL][/IMG]

FlyfisherX is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-12-2016   #2
Sponsoring Vendors

Paddling Since: 1994
Youre right about it putting a bunch of weight in the stern but it also doesnt look like you have a lot of other options with that frame. Do those seats flip up? If so i guess you could fit a small box under you or your passenger seat but otherwise, youve got what youve got. Most frames will incorporate seating space with box/ cooler storage which doesnt seem to be the case here.
zbaird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2016   #3

Hi Zach,

Thanks for the feedback. Unfortunately the seats are not made to fold up. Agree with you that the it would be nicer to have it under the front seat. I would need to get the frame rewelded to get a better option. I could slide a box under the front seat, but the dimension would be down to 31"x15"x 7 1/4". Considering the normal lid, it limits space significantly. The benefit of the stern section is that the box would be easily accessible during the day. My plan was to get some side tabs welded on and tie the box to the floor support. I think having one box with everything food related and bear proof would be quite nice.

With the 14' pontoons I have some placement options for the two frames. I can move them a bit further forward and also have 5 D-rings on the pontoon which gives me options.

Appreciate the feedback.

Andreas
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-12-2016   #4
Misspellingintothefuture!

Tabernash, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2000
Hmm. Can you fit a cargo module between the two frames if you move them apart? Might put your weight to far back then? Mostly I see re-welding, or switching out the front frame to something where your son sits on top the dry box. Are military ammo cans bear proof? Would probly fit under the seat. Think Yeti claims there coolers are bear resistant, small cooler in back bay, with dromedaries on top of your tubes to sides of passenger? Could off set weight of a rear cooler. Make that kid eat more?!?
Old 06-12-2016   #5
Misspellingintothefuture!

Tabernash, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2000
Make teen row boat, while dad sits in front and fishes?
Old 06-12-2016   #6

Wheat Ridge, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1995
Maybe get a simple trailer frame that'll just hold the box or a box and cooler that you could switch out for the front trailer seat shown?

Or learn to row the big water backwards!

Have fun!

-AH
Nothing in the world is more yielding and gentle than water. Yet it has no equal for conquering the resistant and tough. The flexible can overcome the unbending; the soft can overcome the hard. - Lao Tse
Andy H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2016   #7

Salida, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1986
First, I don't understand why the cooler goes in the box. And boxes get really heavy when they are filled with cookpots and such. If you could find a cooler that fits half that space and make the box to fit the other half, that may be a viable option and your box is only half the size. A 12x15x17" box would allow for a pretty sweet small kitchen.

But ya gotta figure out the whole thing, not just that dry box.

Reality is that you need 2 more feet of cataraft to match the storage of a raft. So you really only have the gear capacity of a 12 foot raft, but if those are JPW blunt tubes that may be an exception. Think comparmentalizing. You can get a pretty decent 4 person kitchen in an ammo box (which are 19"). Food in another. Toilet usually takes up 2, but if its only 2 people there are other options depending on where the trip is. There seems to be room for 4 of them on those two wood decks. You could then put drop bags in the two bays under the seats for things like chairs and pumps and roll-a-tables and first aid kits and dry bags and all that crap. To have a flip seat option would be a great option, but hardly necessary with that option. And don't forget you'll need a fire pan!

I would be thinking of things on a scale of car camping out of a volkswagon rather than all the larger heavy metal equipment you see on bigger boats towed behind F-350's.

You could also mount the second seat on that elevated part of the rear frame and use the entire front module for gear, which would even out your load front to back. Without seeing the rig in person, this seems the best option to maximize gear capacity with a passenger on board.

Good luck!
DoStep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2016   #8

You got the longer term idea. I took my son to the last two rafting course and he will be with me on the third one as well. He is 13 and still struggles with the bigger oars.

I was looking at a Madcow welded aluminum box. The pontoon is not really big enough for longer multi day trips, but I figure we can pull 1-2 nights off trying not to bring everything.

Right now I have between 2.5-3 ft between the end of the frame on the pontoon. I leave usually about 6-8 in between the frames. My frame comes apart - all the center connection pieces come out. I can make a floor connector piece to place the box in front of foot bar and connect to the rear section of the front frame. I would probably move increase the spacing by 6-9 in. The box becomes the foot rest

Does this seem like a better choice?

Andreas
Old 06-12-2016   #9
Sponsoring Vendors

Paddling Since: 1994
Knowing you have tube space to spare I would figure out how much. Then I would have a hoop welded up to make a 3 piece frame that comfortably maxes out your frame chafers and have a box built to fit the hoop. That leaves your back deck for the cooler when you realize there isnt room in the box for it.

As DoStep pointed out, rocket boxes are always good and may or may not drop rignt in under the seats. They are easy for your 13 yo to carry as well
zbaird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2016   #10

Hi DoStep,

My background is still hiking with a lot less stuff....

The anchor mount in the back has an option to mount a seat, but it is quite far back. I keep that option for day trip option for 2nd son. I don't have the JPW blunt tubes.

If you just look at 1-2 nights you don't need a lot of food & cooler space. I have a little Fishpond cooler which would fit inside it 12"x10"x9". This way you have bear proofing in the smaller size. If I upscale in the future, I can go for cooler & dry box.

Appreciate the feedback.

Andreas