Pistol Creek right channel is closed - Mountain Buzz

Old 08-27-2017   #1

Ketchum, Idaho
Paddling Since: 2014
Pistol Creek right channel is closed

Ran back to back trips on MF at 2.3' and 2.1' and having to use left channel at Pistol is a whole different ball game. Ran right of fang the first time, it's a steep ass pour over, got held up and jacked around a bit but came out fine. Tried to run left the next time but didn't commit and dragged over the fang.

Commercial's mostly said the far left move is the best/cleanest. The water wants to take you but you really have to get on the wall. Right is a big hit, expect some light to moderate taco action on impact. Oars blown, gear damaged, people stampeded and cattle raped.

I expect to hear about more fang carnage as water drops, I think I'd be floorless in a few less inches of water. Bottom line, scouting not a bad idea especially if you've got little ones in boat.

Bahlz Diep is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-27-2017   #2

Idaho Falls, Idaho
Paddling Since: 1980
Thanks for the update - our group puts on 8/30. How was the fire situation? saw a report awhile back with concerns near Tappan.

Sent from my iPad using Mountain Buzz
Snakerivergirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2017   #3

Salt Lake City, Utah
Paddling Since: 1987
Fire at tappan has been out for over a week.

The left move was the favored move at 2.2 feet a few weeks ago. It was a simple move, just start angled with bow towards shore, just a few feet off, Once you pass the rock on the left pull back and point bow down stream. Easy as pie. Plenty of space between shore and the fang. It was much easier than it looked. Right side looked nasty at 2.2
unlucky is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-28-2017   #4

Ketchum, Idaho
Paddling Since: 2014
Unlucky is correct, I just didn't execute the move. It was the eclipse day so staring at the sun on acid was likely a factor in boating performance.

Regarding fires, don't be scared off from staying at Camas Creek. It burned all around but camp protected. First time I've stayed there, awesome spot.
Bahlz Diep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2017   #5

Riverbend, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1986
Launching on September 1st. How are the bugs throughout?
Ginger Blu Bucket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2017   #6

Salt Lake City, Utah
Paddling Since: 1987
what bugs??? only saw a few yellow jackets show up for breakfast our last day.
unlucky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2017   #7

Idaho Falls, Idaho
Paddling Since: 1980
Just got off the MF (Labor Day) - launched at boundary at 1.98 with cats and rafts. Had a few moments of pushing off rocks, but all runs were great from top to bottom. Not an issue on Pistol, barely any bugs, lots of great fishing, and smoke was better on the MF than Salmon. Wish I could do it all again.

Sent from my iPad using Mountain Buzz
Snakerivergirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2017   #8

Somewhere, Idaho
Paddling Since: 2008
Right of the dildo is seriously fucked right now. I've always known that as the low-water line but at the lip of that drop, you immediately regret it. The cobble bar has made the drop much steeper and frowny-faced. Definitely go left, and commit to the left line. So far, I've heard of a sweep puncturing a tube going right of the dildo, and then another sweep having a bad experience on the dildo. Be careful, Pistol is tough this year.
fostvedtm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2017   #9

Bend, Oregon
Paddling Since: 1975
Far left was preferred at 2.4 ft.

Didn't quite make it so the fang got me.....
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Ouch-Pistol Creek.jpg
Views:	224
Size:	402.8 KB
ID:	22314  
Aerocam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2017   #10

Salt Lake City, Utah
I wonder what's different this year? We ran it last year at 1.8 and all but one of us in the group all went right. The one who went left had a little excitement interacting with the dildo.
Skyman is offline   Reply With Quote