pfd's which ones to choose - Mountain Buzz

Old 02-11-2018   #1

lafayette, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2014
pfd's which ones to choose

I need to outfit my family of 4 with pfd's for rafting without breaking the bank.1 adult male and 3 adult females.any suggestions, or ones to stay away from?Thank you to all who comment

dreu is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-11-2018   #2

Post Falls, Idaho
Paddling Since: 2000
My son loves the NRS Vapor and it's not as expensive as some.

My wife and daughter have each had a few and ended up sticking with that Astral Abba. It's not inexpensive but it works comfort wise. Ladies have a harder time getting a good fit so I'd recommend just trying to start out with the one that they like instead of going through a few first.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Mountain Buzz mobile app
Paul7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2018   #3

out west, Idaho
Paddling Since: 1998
Quote:
Originally Posted by dreu View Post
I need to outfit my family of 4 with pfd's for rafting without breaking the bank.......
This is one area I would suggest you don't worry about cost. If the PFD is comfortable and your 3 females are liking a specific model/brand, get it even if its $150. Not an area to skimp on, safety and comfort wise.
brasscap is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-12-2018   #4

Denver, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2002
Backcountry has some good ones on sale currently...and if you use ibotta, im pretty sure they still have a 13% cash back event going on with backcountry.com....they also have rafts and with the cash back event and free shipping its beats even manufacturers sales.
k2andcannoli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2018   #5
My name isn't Will

Willamette Valley, Oregon
Paddling Since: 1997
It's really important that PFDs have a good fit so they can do their job. If you have a local paddle shop, go try some there and buy at least one to keep them in business.

If you can't go visit a shop and try some on, be aware that NRS has a ridiculously user-friendly return policy. If something isn't going to work for you, they send you a pre-paid label for you to send the item back. They have sales from time to time.

I'll echo what brasscap said: DON'T SKIMP on a PFD. It is life support gear. Get one that fits and has the amount of floatation appropriate for your use. Then be sure and wear it! Avoid rescue vests unless you intend to get trained in their use and are comfortable with the extra DANGER that they pose.

Take good care of it, and it will last a long time. Keep it out of the sun, don't store it wet, and all that.
Will Amette is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2018   #6

Fort Collins
I anticipate REI and backcountry anx others will be having sales/20% off coupons in mid March. I got a Nrs ion for my son, and he likes that quiige a bit, I like that it should fit from age 13 to adulthood, the adjustability helps to offset the cost of growing. I'll probably get my daughter a siren (female version) when she is a little older. My wife really likes her Astral too. You may also want to keep an eye on steep and cheep and sierra trading post.

Sent from my GT-P5113 using Mountain Buzz mobile app