permit success rates - Mountain Buzz

Old 12-16-2017   #1

central, Oregon
permit success rates

Is there someplace on recreation.gov or anywhere else where you can see the number of applicants versus permits granted for a river by any given day?

Advertisement

Old 12-16-2017   #2

Walterville, Oregon
Paddling Since: 1977
https://www.fs.usda.gov/Internet/FSE...eprd532539.pdf

You're welcome. Invite me if you win.
Old 12-16-2017   #3

Western Slope, CO, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2009
So next time they talk about permitting a river you like to run, remember that means that they are trying to force you out and themselves in.

Only 4 trips allowed per day makes for a pretty nice, quiet river run for all the government workers who come up with some boondoggle reason that it is their job to run that river. Like counting some kind of minnow, measuring trees and rocks by the river, etc.
ColoradoDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-17-2017   #4

Willi..., Willimina, OR
Paddling Since: 68
Laura and the daughters on the grand

Yeah...like Laura Bush, their two daughters and 40 secret service agents waiting in line for 10 years to get their GC permits.
garystrome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2017   #5

Oregon City, Oregon
Paddling Since: 1972
Quote:
Originally Posted by garystrome View Post
Yeah...like Laura Bush, their two daughters and 40 secret service agents waiting in line for 10 years to get their GC permits.
I'm not sure what your point is. I was on the wait list for 17 years, finally getting my number down to three digits--and then they did away with the wait list in favor of the lottery.
The Mogur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2017   #6

Denver, Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Mogur View Post
I'm not sure what your point is. I was on the wait list for 17 years, finally getting my number down to three digits--and then they did away with the wait list in favor of the lottery.
I think the point is that the assertion that permits are being doled out to government workers is an unfounded smear.
markhusbands is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2017   #7

Boise, ID
Paddling Since: '99
Quote:
Originally Posted by ColoradoDave View Post
So next time they talk about permitting a river you like to run, remember that means that they are trying to force you out and themselves in.

Only 4 trips allowed per day makes for a pretty nice, quiet river run for all the government workers who come up with some boondoggle reason that it is their job to run that river. Like counting some kind of minnow, measuring trees and rocks by the river, etc.
Maybe it's different in CO but I've ran the MFS, Main and Lower many times and have seen a gov trip one day out of all my days on the river.
Conundrum is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2017   #8

Denver, Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by Conundrum View Post
Maybe it's different in CO but I've ran the MFS, Main and Lower many times and have seen a gov trip one day out of all my days on the river.
Thing is, if someone is on official business, whether it be a river patrol or some scientific purpose, they don't need a permit, so they don't compete for scarce permits with the public. And if a government employee isn't on official business, they DO have to get a permit, and they face the same odds as everybody else. I can't say there has never been a case of cheating, but I don't know of one, and if it was common practice, I would know.
Old 12-19-2017   #9

Lakewood, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1993
No...its not any different. I've run down through Dinosaur a bunch and have never seen any science trips or rangers even. I did talk to a ranger that had gotten off an enforcement/training run the day before earlier this year, but I'd say that was part of doing his duties.

Most of who you see down there is predominantly commercial trips followed by private trips. Government workers are definitely not stealing trips as far as I can tell.
Electric-Mayhem is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2017   #10

Denver, Colorado
To atone for thread hijack, here's the 2016 San Juan lottery results.

https://www.blm.gov/sites/blm.gov/fi...01.14.2017.pdf