Payette River - Mountain Buzz

Old 06-02-2017   #1

Boise, Idaho
Payette River

Has anyone run the Banks to Beehive section recently? It's currently at over 16K cfs, which is probably double what I've ever done it at. I've ran the staircase section multiple times (although again never at these flows) so I'm not that worried about it, just curious if any of the rapids are run differently and around how long the float takes.

Bwick84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-02-2017   #2

Blarney, Iowa
It's fairly washed out. Lots of swirly water and eddy lines, and some bigger wavetrains. I think it's much easier than when it's between 6k and 10k. Kind of boring, even.
Anchorless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2017   #3

Boise, Idaho
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anchorless View Post
It's fairly washed out. Lots of swirly water and eddy lines, and some bigger wavetrains. I think it's much easier than when it's between 6k and 10k. Kind of boring, even.
That's kind of what I figured. Any idea of how long the float would be?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-02-2017   #4

Boise, Idaho
Paddling Since: 2005
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bwick84 View Post
That's kind of what I figured. Any idea of how long the float would be?
Banks to Beehive will take about 30 minutes I would guess.
Grifgav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2017   #5

Boise, Idaho
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grifgav View Post
Banks to Beehive will take about 30 minutes I would guess.
Thank you!
Old 06-13-2017   #6

Boise, Idaho
Same questions for anyone who has run the Cabarton recently. I was thinking of running it Sunday.

Banks to Beehive was a blast last week. It had big wave trains just as Anchorless said that were pretty straight forward. The rapids are almost unrecognizable compared to normal. It probably took us a little over 45 minutes but we eddied out a bunch because we were teaching some new people to oar.

We had one guy dump a couple times in an IK and one person fall out of the Super Puma when we had a side wave hit us just as we were cresting. He went under the boat but grabbed the other side and got right back in.

I know everyone knows this with higher flows, but it is significantly harder to get to people/boats, especially with the swirly water. I was planning on taking my 7 year old down this at some point this year, but it won't be until the flows go down significantly.
Old 06-13-2017   #7

Boise, Idaho
Ran across a video of a couple Sabretooths running the Cabarton from 6/3. Looks like a blast. If that video is from someone on here, please let me know how long the run took. I'm just trying to plan logistics with it being Father's Day and all.

Old 06-13-2017   #8

Boise, Idaho
They also posted another video of the Main this past weekend for anyone interested.