Partners Wanted for Numbers - Mountain Buzz

Old 06-01-2016   #1

Telluride, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2008
Partners Wanted for Numbers

Howdy Raft Folk!

The past few months I have spent my weekends running the Daily in Moab. I am hoping to move up to a few more technical rapids. The Numbers is my next goal. Would love to get on it next weekend (June 10th-12th) if anyone is down.

I currently reside in Telluride, CO. My rig is a 12' Aire Bobcat with custom frame recently acquired from the list that Craig runs. I work Monday-Friday but free most weekends. I am open to any rivers in the area and really just hoping to meet up with some other people who enjoy the river. Looking for someone who can teach me a few things and have a good time. I also do a lot of rock climbing and would be happy to trade rope lessons for river lessons.

Let me know if your interested!

Brochacho is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-02-2016   #2

Buena Vista, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2005
Numbers is a huge step up from the Moab Daily.... I will SUP the daily, but not Numbers. Honestly, the difficulty of the Daily is comparable to Rincon on the Ark...class II. Numbers is class IV. My suggestion would be to run Browns or Parkdale first, and don't go into Numbers unless you style those.

Not to mention you will probably have high water on those dates, making Numbers a solid IV+ run. It's important for you to remember that commercial rafters stop running Numbers at 2400 cfs...
lmyers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2016   #3

Telluride, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2008
Thanks for the information Imyers!

I spent a summer guiding IV water on the Ocoee. That was a long time ago and I would like to ease back into it. Defiantly appreciate any advice on runs somewhere between the Daily and a IV.

Do you have a recommendation on a good level to run Numbers at for the first go?
Brochacho is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-02-2016   #4

Numbers is good from 500 to 5000, but with bridge issues about 4k.
Best level for first time run would be 800-1200.
Not too boney and not too pushy.
1100 right now but will quickly jump over 2k in the next week.

Usually easy to met up with other boaters on the weekends.
Arkansas catboaters are generally fairly friendly.

A good intro for the Ark would be:
-Milk Run (BV to Browns) II
-Fractions (Railroad Bridge to BV) III
-Browns III (III+ at high water)
-Parkdale III+
-Royal Gorgeous IV
-Numbers IV (IV+ at High water)
-Pine Creek IV+
Rich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2016   #5

Buena Vista, Colorado
I would like to comment that Fractions is every bit of the III+ that Browns is at comparable flows....even a few IV- spots.

The Arkansas in general becomes highly continuous with few eddies at flows above 2000 cfs. The stretches below Browns and above Parkdale are significantly easier with mostly class II water and isolated III-III+ rapids.

Really, you need to go put your raft in the San Miguel if you haven't recently. It's in your backyard and has good continuous II+/III- action. Also, go drive over Lizard Head and run Stoner on the Dolores. If you can style the Stampede at 700+ on the Rico gauge then you are probably good to go for Browns at 2000 cfs. Plenty of other boaters in there to lend a hand if things go bad.... then go upstream the next day.
Old 06-02-2016   #6

Buena Vista, Colorado
Also, I find it a little misleading to say Numbers is good to go at 5000 cfs.... you better be a solid boater with a class V roll to jump in there at that level. I have known some solid guys that have been unable to exit the hole at #3 go for life and death swims. It's damn near impossible to get a swimmer out for much of the run at 4000+...

Pretty rare to see a raft at those flows.
Old 06-02-2016   #7

I should have clarified. The 500 to 5000 comment was from the perspective of a cat boater, not a kayaker.
Perhaps even a cat boater with a taste for highwater.

But my point was a first time Numbers run should be about 1000+.
and with someone who knows thgw river.
Rich is offline   Reply With Quote