Paco Pup - Mountain Buzz

Old 01-10-2014   #1

at my house, Montana
Paddling Since: 2020
Paco Pup

What is there to do in the winter to keep working on a pup's rafting skills? PACO-PUP!

https://vimeo.com/m/83729754

Advertisement

Old 01-10-2014   #2

Sandy, Utah
Paddling Since: 1997
OMG......she's so cute. She's getting big. Great training video to teach her balance on the raft.
Old 01-10-2014   #3

Bend, Oregon
Paddling Since: 2008
Fantastic. I don't think you have anything to worry about. It's obvious, she loves the water and will be a great river dog. If it's safe, we try to take our puppy to the river once a week through the winter. We have had good luck allowing the patriarch/matriarch in the pack show the little ones the way. Our last dog was not a water dog - slow swimmer/not the right breed - but he was schooled from a pup by one of our best labs and in the end he turned out great.
cmharris is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-10-2014   #4

Evergreen, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2003
I think airing the boat up in the garage and getting them used to walking around on the tubes and gear could help a lot.
Old 01-10-2014   #5

at my house, Montana
Paddling Since: 2020
We've had a couple of cold snaps so river swimming is pretty much out, so this was a super fun substitute. I had no idea if the paco thing would work, and went ready just to have her swim a bit. What a bonus! She is at such a critical age her little brain is still plastic and able to soak this stuff up like crazy. The more she does something new and difficult, the better prepared she will be mentally to not only do that, but be open to new challenges. We're going to do it again in late Feb, I have to come up with something new to challenge her with.
Old 01-10-2014   #6

Jenks, Oklahoma
Nice video and a good looking puppy.

JPW Paco Pad not only good for sleeping, a great pool toy and training aid.
okieboater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2014   #7

Sandy, Utah
Paddling Since: 1997
Quote:
Originally Posted by lhowemt View Post
We've had a couple of cold snaps so river swimming is pretty much out, so this was a super fun substitute. I had no idea if the paco thing would work, and went ready just to have her swim a bit. What a bonus! She is at such a critical age her little brain is still plastic and able to soak this stuff up like crazy. The more she does something new and difficult, the better prepared she will be mentally to not only do that, but be open to new challenges. We're going to do it again in late Feb, I have to come up with something new to challenge her with.
How is she for knowing where to be on the raft in the rapids? Maybe teach her a command to use when you want her down/in her spot. Practice it on the paco while it's bobbing around and she's all excited.